Trust

"Tears filled my eyes

As we said our last goodbyes

This sad scene replays

Of you walking away..."

- Megadeth "Trust"

<><><><><><><><>

“Alice!” Colton called my name from a room over. His tone said it all, he was not mad at me, but he wanted to tell me something.

I thought about getting up and going seeing what he wanted, but that would require me to get up. Which, in return, would mean I would have to leave the confines of this comfortable bed, in which I laid on, wrapped in a cocoon of warm blankets. All while watching Tom and Jerry on the flat screen that was hung on the wall, in front of my bed.

It was a perfect day, due to the rain that was beating down outside, to stay exactly where I was. If he wanted me, he would just have to come in here and get me because I was in no position or mood to leave.

“Alice!” Colton yelled my name once more, but this time I noticed that his voice was a little closer.

Knowing he was going to come in here, I decided to hide under the covers with a playful smile planted on my face. It wasn’t long before I heard my door open and a sigh being released.

“I know you’re under there, Alice. I can hear you chuckling,” He spoke in a soft tone.

It was true, I was giving off small laughs under the sheets because this reminded me of the — very, very rare — days Colton would come over and wake me up, only I would already be up and hiding under the sheets, waiting for him.

“Nobody is home,” I proclaimed as a grin plagued my face.

The room was blanketed in silence and for a second I thought Colton had left. However, within a matter of a short minute, I felt the other side of the bed that I didn’t occupy, dip down under pressure.

I knew it was Colton even before I peeked my eyes out of the white, Egyptian cotton, sheets.

“Nobody is home, aye?” He stated as he landed sights on me. Laying on his side and facing me, Colton gave me a wide grin, “I’ve missed you, Alice,” He told me for the billionth time.

I scooted over to him and snuggled up to his warm chest, “Ditto ... so, what did you want?”

Colton wrapped his arms around me and pulled me even closer, if that was possible. “Your mom just called me. She informed me that she has been trying to reach you but every time she calls it goes straight to voicemail.”

His statement brought my whole world crashing down. He words reminded me of Duke and his boss — and all the baggage that comes with it.

I realized then that I was becoming too comfortable here, Duke or the others will find me. When they do, they might hurt Colton. Knowing I could have that, I wiggled out of his arms and got up from the bed.

“Where are you going?” Colton asked as he remained on the bed.

I didn’t respond as the cold air washed over me once I unwrapped myself from my sheets. I didn’t have the guts to tell Colton I was leaving, I feared his reaction — but I had to go. People were after me, people that I didn’t want to involve Colton in.

Walking over to my closet, I opened the door. My eyes scanned over the clothes that were all neatly hung up. I couldn’t help but give a faint smile at how any girl would kill over the closet full of the clothes Colton supplied me with. The smile faded away at the fact that I would have to leave this behind.