Smile

UNEDITED!

***

"You make me smile like the sun,
Fall outta bed
Sing like a bird,
Dizzy in my head
Spin like a record,
Crazy on a Sunday night
You make me dance like a fool,
Forget how to breathe
Shine like gold,
Buzz like a bee
Just the thought of you can drive me wild
Oh, you make me smile..."

- Uncle Kracker "Smile"

***

"I hope you aren't making a habit of standing me up for lunch," Chey said as she walked up to me in the lobby.

I rolled my eyes, "Sorry about that, again. I ... well-"

"You freaked out on Mr. Sharp," She exclaimed as we reached the elevators. Chey pressed the up button and looked over at me before taking a sip from her thermos mug.

The smell of coffee hit me, and I started to itch for a cup. I noted that it was my duty to start the coffee for the office, a job that kept slipping my mind. "To put it mildly," I told her as we entered the elevator. Part of me was happy that we were the first few people to arrive at work for it was just us in the elevator, so no one could hear our conversation. However, this gave Chey the perfect opportunity to hound me.

"I heard you freak out, all the way from my cube. What happened?"

I shrugged my shoulders, as I thought that would be an acceptable reply. However, I forgot this was Chey, and that would not do. "He said he wanted to show me something. He took my hand and led me out of his office. It was while we were walking that I felt this was all moving so fast..."

Chey pressed the stop button on the elevator; halting are ascension. "Too fast? You have been with this guy all your life! Too fast would be if you guys met a week ago and were getting married tomorrow. No judgement if that is the case but it is not."

"I know ... but it just ... Sudden..."

"It's sudden for the fact that you are just now realizing that you like him-"

I interrupted her, "Yes! I do, maybe, kind of ... But before I can digest that we are kissing, and he confesses that he likes me. I'm trying to get over the fact that I kind of like him and then bam, bam, bam."

Chey looked at me with a humored expression, "Bam, bam, bam?"

"Bam, bam, bam," I restated and then smiled as Chey chuckled. "Shut up ... I am at a loss..."

"Clearly. Honestly, you can take all the time in the world to 'digest this'. But, let's be honest - this is new to you."

"I've been in relationships, Chey."

"Have they been drug lords, which were your friend, parented you growing up, cared for you endlessly but abruptly left two years ago to now just pop back in your life."

I shook my head, "No..."

"Your system is going through a shock, I understand. But, you like him, right?"

My mind thought over that question.

Do I like Cole?

"Yes," I replied as I bit my bottom lip. "I like him."

Chey smiled, "What are you waiting for?"

"You just said it is understandable that I am in shock. I can't just shake out of this - I need to think. I need to process this."

"You have processed it because, whether you will admit it or not, you have accepted him, as Chad, the boy you grew up with, and Mr. Sharp. Even after accepting it you still like him ... If you needed more time or were unsure, you'd reply with a maybe - or I don't know."