My Life Would Suck Without You

"Maybe I was wrong for trying to pick a fight

I know that I've got issues

But you're pretty messed up too

Either way I found out

I'm nothing without you..."

- Kelly Clarkson "My Life Would Suck Without You"

<><><><><><>

Present Time:

"So, what do you think?" Colton asked as his dark eyes stared down at me. He looked genuinely curious as to what I thought about Central Park that laid smack dab in the middle of New York City.

While the landscaping was breathtaking, I remained silent toward his question. My lips had been sealed since the very moment he strolled lazily into my room this morning and genuinely smiled at me as if we had not shared heated words with one another the night before.

It surprised me, I will not lie, that he actually lived up to his promise of taking me to see the city. I half expected him to leave me in my room to wither away. While he was always good about keeping his promises growing up - I just didn't know how I could trust him nowadays for he was a completely different person then I last remembered.

"Alice, talk to me," He begged as he stopped walking and stood in front of me.

I rolled my eyes at his in vain attempts to get me to talk as I looked anywhere but at him.

"You forget I know how to make you smile and laugh," He stated with a teasing smile materializing on his face.

I knew without a shadow of a doubt he had a whole hat full of tricks that would've made me laugh - two years ago. However, I was stronger than the girl he knew a couple years ago. Nowadays, I can keep a straight face and not crack.

"Have it your way," He proclaimed and then, without warning, Colton started to walk away from me.

My eyes stayed glued to his backside, hoping he wouldn't leave me here in a park that seemed twice as big as the city I lived in before coming here. Soon, I watched as he got up on an old wooden bench that was a little ways down from me.

Colton cleared his throat and shoved his hands into the front pockets of his dark denim jeans. He looked over at me and smirked.

I went wide-eyed, knowing what he was going to do. Racing over to Colton, I grabbed his arm and tried to get him off the bench. However, my tugs were useless because he was too strong.

"But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?" The second Colton started to speak a line spoken by Romeo in William Shakespeare play 'Romeo and Juliet' I bit my bottom lip, trying not to laugh. He definitely still knew my number one weakness.

You see when Colton was in ninth grade he had to read the play 'Romeo and Juliet'. I asked him to read it to me but the way the people spoke in the play made me burst out laughing. Since then I've never been able to read or listen to a work by William Shakespeare because I start laughing.

"It is the east, and Juliet is the sun," Colton continued. "Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,

Who is already sick and pale with grief,

That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she.

Be not her maid since she is envious."

At this point, I had let go of Colton and was bent over laughing as if the funniest joke in the world had just been told to me. I'd thought he would have stopped, but oh, no Colton continued even when I was gasping for air in between my laughs.