Leave the Pieces

“And it's alright, yeah I'll be fine

Don't worry 'bout this heart of mine

Just take your love and hit the road

There's nothing you can do or say

You're gonna break my heart anyway

So just leave the pieces when you go”

- The Wreckers “Leave the Pieces”

***

“I’m not hungry,” I told my mother as the smell of her delicious chocolate chip pancakes filled my nose. It took everything in me not to reach out and grab the plate she was holding in front of me.

She gave me a huff, “You have to eat something! You are going to kill yourself!”

The words she spoke to me were supposed to scare me, but they didn’t. Shrugging, I continued to lay there, “So be it.”

Mother’s eyes practically rolled into the back of her head. “Allison, please, stop. This is not what your grandmother would have wanted.” Her voice was strained, and I could see my actions were hurting my mother. “Please, Allison, get out of this bed,” She pleaded as she placed the pancake dish on my nightstand. “You have twenty minutes to get out of this bed before someone who will force you out of this bed comes.”

I looked at her with bewilderment before a weak grin found my face. “When did he get out?!” I asked with a sense of happiness washing over me. It thrilled me that my father was coming home. I needed him.

Giving a single chuckle, Mother shook her head. “Your father is still stuck in the airport. I had to recruit someone else for the job ... someone I know, without a doubt, will help you get over this hurdle.” A mischievous twinkle found her blue eyes. With a smirk, Mother took a step away from the bed. “If I were you, I’d get up,” She told me.

Deciding that she was handing out an empty threat, I shook my head. “No,” Was all I said before burying my face in my purple pillow.

I heard my mother mutter something under her breath before the sound of her footsteps leaving my room could be heard...

Taking my head out of my pillow, I licked my chapped lips, and I wondered what she was up too because knowing her, she was planning something.

In twenty minutes time, I could hear the purr of a car’s engine in our driveway, followed by a car door closing.

My head peeked up as I wondered if my mother had lied and that my father had truly gotten out of the airport and was now home. All too soon the doorbell rang, and I found my heart drop. Father would never use the doorbell. He had a key and even if he didn’t, he would use the spare under the doormat.

Feeling myself reach rock bottom, I sighed while wondering who it could be.

It didn’t take long for muffled sounds of voices to permeate the air. All I could tell was that whoever was here was a male because the second voice, aside from my mother’s, was deeper but I couldn’t place a finger on who it was. But, whoever it was my mother was certain they would get me out of this bed.