Gives You Hell

Unedited...

****

"And truth be told I miss you

And truth be told I'm lying

When you see my face 
Hope it gives you hell
When you walk my way
Hope it gives you hell
Hope it gives you hell"

- The All-American Rejects "Gives You Hell"

*** 

“Miss,” someone nudged me rather harshly. 

“Hum?” I muttered as I jolted up with my eyelids half open, representing my sleepy state. It was in the midst of my confusion, for waking up so suddenly, that I noticed a woman standing in front of me, tapping her foot on the hardwood floor. She appeared no older than I and looked irritated, as if there was something I’d done to irk her. 

“Your alarm has been going off for thirty minutes,” her voice was rushed and leaking with zero patience. 

It was then that I realized there was a faint beeping coming from beside me. Looking over at the digital clock, I saw that it was 5:02 in the morning. Groaning, I reached over and turned off the alarm clock with urgency to get rid of the noise that I figured was angering the woman. “Sorry,” I told her, hoping she seen I didn’t mean to make her upset with me. 

She shrugged her bony shoulders and gave me a less irritated look, “I’m MaryAnn, the head housemaid. I assume you are Ms. Snow?” 

I nodded, “Yeah, but you can call me Allison.” I gave a warm smile, hoping she’d return it and forget why she was not happy with me.

However, MaryAnn gave me a deep frown. “Allison it is then ... Well, I’ve had your breakfast ready for half an hour now, I will go heat it back up seeing as it is probably cold.” She turned to leave the room but paused and looked over her shoulder with a bored expression. “You do know where the kitchen is, don’t you?”

“Yes, I do,” I exclaimed as I remembered Garrett last night telling me where it was located. Throwing the heavy covers off me, I sighed. “I’ll be down shortly, MaryAnn.”

She nodded at me, making her brown hair that was in a ponytail bounce in the process. “Good.” Was all she said before storming out of the room. 

My eyes stared at the door that was slightly rattling from how hard she closed it. I wondered what in the world was up her ass. She seemed uptight and, for some reason, upset with me. Realizing that I’d done absolutely nothing to MaryAnn because I just met her, I wondered what had her so irritated. 

Not lingering on the thought for any longer, I got out of bed and went to the bathroom. 

Last night I’d taken a shower, so I saw no need to take one again. Yet, I did see the need in brushing my teeth for I knew my breath was worse than an ogre’s. Pulling the toothbrush and paste, I used last night out, of the cabinet I began to get ready for the day.

“You’re up,” Garrett said as I walked into the kitchen. He looked up from his loaded plate and smiled sweetly at me. “You’re going to be late. Mr. Sharp won’t like that,” He stated in a tone that showed he didn’t care what Mr. Sharp would like and how he’d feel about my tardiness. 

“I have forty-five minutes,” I said as I looked over at the clock that was on the oven. It was becoming obvious that I was going to be late. Quite frankly I didn’t care either if I was late. Mr. Sharp can suck it as my current motto goes.

Garrett chuckled, showing his amusement, “We live about thirty minutes from his work place. you haven't eaten or signed the contract.”

“Then I should hurry,” I exclaimed sarcastically as I walked over to MaryAnn in a leisurely pace.