Breath

UNeDiTEd!

<><><>

"I see nothing in your eyes, and the more I see the less I like.

Is it over yet, in my head?

I know nothing of your kind, and I won't reveal your evil mind."

-  Breaking Benjamin "Breath"

***

“This is where you work?” I said with a raised eyebrow we entered his spacey office. My eyes went wide as saucers when I saw the view he had in his office. From the thirty-fifth floor he could see almost all the buildings that littered New York City. Walking over to the window that took up his whole back wall, I pressed my nose to the cool, clean, glass. “Awesome view,” I muttered as I felt like a giddy child because I’d be able to see this view every single day.  

“You will be handling my schedule,” Colton stated, clearly not impressed by the view I was drooling over. 

Figuring he must see it all the time, since he works here, I turned around and rolled my eyes. “Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got it.”

Colton locked eyes with me, “My schedule is very important, Allison. If you slip up and make a mistake, you will be fired-”

“Wouldn’t be the first time,” I blurted out as an unwelcomed memory crossed my mind. 

Colton raised an eyebrow at me, “You’ve worked before?” 

I bit my bottom lip for this was a major topic I wanted to avoid. “Yeah, it was nothing though ... So, tell me, who exactly do you — a drug lord — met with?” I asked as I tried to change the conversation at hand.

Sitting down in his black leather desk chair, Colton leaned back and studied me for a second. I knew right then that he was debating on if he should go with my conversation switch, or keep pestering me about this job I once had. 

“I have many people below me. I need to meet with them on a regular bases to make sure everything is going smoothly. Plus, every once in a while I place new rules or ways of doing things and I like to personally explain it to the higher ups.”

My eyebrows furrowed, “I thought no one has seen you before.”

Colton smiled, “The higher ups in the gang have. However, they are heavily threatened not to reveal my true identity.”

“What if they do?” I questioned. It took a minute of Colton giving me a pointed look for me to put two and two together, “Oh ... I see ... Why exactly do you want to keep your identity a secret? I mean, I get why — for cops and rival gangs ... but I mean, the Green Saints gang that preoccupies the town over, from our homes, goes under the radar but everyone has seen their main leader Henry. So, why do you try to stay so hidden?”

Colton stared at me for a good minute before his lips parted and he spoke. “I have my reasons ... now tell me, how exactly do you know so much about the Green Saints?” 

I shrugged my shoulders and at first I thought I wouldn’t reply. Yet, after a minute I realized there was no sense in keeping this part of my past bottled up. “I know a lot about the gangs around our hometown. I was a druggie, Colton - You kinda need to know who is around and who has the better deals. But, of course you have to, also, keep your ears open because when the Green Saints fight their rivals Oak Towns, you can bet that their major rivals Devil’s Angels will lower their prices to draw in the other two gangs customers ... Yet, I must say, you’ve been very good at keeping your prices constant no matter what is going on around the town or neighboring areas...”