This is Gospel

UNEDITED!

***

"If you love me let me go

If you love me let me go

'Cause these words are knives and often leave scars

The fear of falling apart

And truth be told, I never was yours

The fear, the fear of falling apart..."

- Panic! At the Disco "This is Gospel"

***

"Is it me?" Penny asked as I placed her at the dining room table. She stared aimlessly at the plate before her with a saddened expression.

Confusion washed over me as I wondered what in the world she was talking about. Quickly, I assumed it had something to do with her father. However, I knew I couldn't jump to conclusions. "Is what your fault?" I asked her as I sat down across from her at the table.

We had just gotten the call thirty minutes ago that the social worker would be stopping by Colton's place in the next hour or two. Cole, Penny and I rushed home to grab some lunch before the social worker came over. By the time we got to his condo the pizza, one of his servants had ordered, was already here.

Colton took a plate of pizza to his office where he said he would finish up work until the social worker got here.

Leaving Penny and me alone.

"I heard you and Colton yelling this morning. Couldn't make out what you two were saying ... but ... Is me being here causing you two to fight? If so ... I really don't mind the idea of going into foster care - or whatever they call it that people like me go into."

I shook my head at her for that was an outlandish idea. "You are being absurd. Colton and I are not fighting."

"Really?" Penny raised an eyebrow at me. Disbelief danced in her eyes as she spoke up, "Then why were you two yelling about this morning?"

My mind scrambled to come up with an excuse. I didn't want Penny to start to think Cole, and I was fighting because of her being a burden. Which was in no way true, "We were arguing. However, it is not about you. Cole and I are butting heads; that is why we were arguing. Colton has his ways of thinking and doing things, and I have mine ... See, we grew up together and fell apart. Over the years we didn't hang out things have changed, we have changed. While we still love and care for each other, we rushed into a relationship that I don't think we were prepared for. We never got the chance to get to know who we have morphed into in the time we stopped being friends.

"And don't for one second think," I continued, "that you are what is stopping us from re-getting to know each other. Colton and I went down this path, together; that was just destined to not end the way we both hoped. It has nothing to do with you."

Penny glanced up at me and gave me an unsure look. "So, you two are no longer together."