Ain't No Rest For The Wicked

As always: Unedited!

***

"Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay
I got mouths to feed
And ain't nothing in this world for free
No I can't slow down
I can't hold back
Though you know I wish I could
No there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good..."

- Cage The Elephant "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked"

***

“I should have guessed you lived in a mansion,” I stated as I entered the living room to find Garrett sitting on his brown leather couch and sipping an amber liquid out of an Old Fashion Tumbler glass.

He looked away from the blazing fireplace and over at me. A small smile broke out on his face, so casing his pearly whites, “Welcome home, Allison ... that is if you chose this to be your home."

I took a few more steps into the living room but decided to go no further seeing as did want to over step any boundaries. Furrowing my eyebrows, I spoke, “What do you me ‘if you chose’?"

Garrett placed his glass on an end table by his left side. “I am not going to force you to live here. However, if you do stay here you will be treated as a guest: free food, room, and of course housecleaning services. But, you are free to leave and live where you please under some conditions.

“What are the conditions?”

“You have to stay within thirty miles of the city. You will be responsible for all your bills and Mr. Sharp wants you to still work for him, which means that you can’t go back home. But, I fought for you to have a weeks paid vacation. Figured you could go home and visit your family if you please.

I couldn’t help but feel thankful for how considerate Garrett was. “Thank you.”

He shrugged his shoulders as if it wasn't a big deal. “There is no reason for me to punish you, like Mr. Sharp has been. You didn’t steal from me. In my eyes you deserve all your rights - including the right to leave, see your family and do whatever the hell you want."

“Are there any more conditions if I decide to move out?”

“Yes, because as far as the contract goes, that Mr. Sharp and I have between each other, you are my full responsibility. So, you will have daily phone call check-ins, and weekly visits to wherever I am.” Garrett picked back up his glass and took another drink before placing it back. Glancing at me, he spoke once more, “Reasonable?”

I blinked a few times, not believing what he was proposing. “That is it?” 

Garrett nodded, “Yes, those are the conditions, if you chose to leave.”

“And if I stay: free room, food, and cleaning?” 

He bobbed his head up and down a couple times, “Yes.”

I shifted my weight from my right to left foot. “Well, I don’t have any money to get a place right now ... So, if you don’t mind ... can I stay here until I save up some money?”

“Of course, but I can always give you a loan,” Garrett exclaimed with a smirk. 

I laughed, “You funny. I know people that have borrowed from gangs and I’ve seen what happens when you don’t pay up.”

Chuckling, Garrett stood up from the couch, “I was joking - any money or items I ever give you are not loans or something you have to pay me back for. Now, speaking about giving you items, there is something that I want to give you. Follow me,” He stated as he walked past me.