Animal

Unedited:

***

"In your eyes I see the eyes of somebody

I knew before, long ago

But I'm still trying to make my mind up

Am I free or am I tied up?"

- Miike Snow "Animal"

***

I stood in front of the hallway no one was allowed to go down. I knew Colton was still tucked away in his private office back there and that it was against the rules for me to go back there. However, it was rounding six thirty and everyone was clearing out - if not already gone - for the day.

 As a matter of fact, Chey just informed me she was leaving for the day, prompting me to consider going down the forbidden hallway to get Colton. I knew his mom - more than likely - scheduled dinner for about seven-thirty ish. If he wanted to make it on time, he would have to wrap up soon so we could head out.

I took one step towards the hallway and stopped. My eyes scanned the hall, expecting something to leap out of the shadows and go off on me for entering the forbidden hallway. Yet, after seconds turned to minutes I noted that nothing was happening - making me sigh in relief.

I decided a moment later: ‘what the hell’ and began my journey down the hall.

There was only one door, at the end, and I figured it to be his office. Grabbing the door knob, I went to open the door but before I got the chance, the door swung open. I released the door knob as I was faced with Colton.

Before I was able to get a good look at the room, Colton stepped forward and closed the door behind him.

“You were, I know, informed not to go down this hall. It is forbidden, Allison.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, “Forbidden? Why?”

Colton stared me down, “Because I said so. Now, what do you want?” He questioned with bitterness.

“It is six thirty. Everyone is practically gone. If you expect us to make it to dinner with your parents, you should consider wrapping up.”

“Tony should be arriving at your desk in about ten minutes. He will be taking you back home.”

“What about dinner with your parents?” I inquired with a raised eyebrow.

Colton snickered, “Did you really think you were going? What on earth led you to believe that you were going out to dinner? Because you told my mother you would? Allison, you are in trouble: You’ve wrecked my office-”

“After you told me you didn’t trust me.”

“That gives you the right to trash my office? What are you five-years-old?! Throwing a tantrum because someone said they don’t trust you?”

I wanted to tell him that he wasn’t just someone, but I held it in.

“Not to mention you have left the premises of the office,” I went wide eyed as I thought, since he didn’t come after me when I got back from lunch, that he didn’t know I left the office to go have lunch with Chey. “Oh, you really didn’t think I’d find out about that? How stupid do you think I am, Allison?” His tone was drenched in outrage.

I took a step back feeling slightly threatened. “Col-” I stopped myself as my eyes casted down on the blue carpet. “Mr. Sharp, I’m sorry...”

“Sorry?” Colton exhaled loudly. “...You’ve come down with a stomach bug - that is what I’ll tell her.”

“If you tell her that,” I stated as I looked up at him, “She will go off on you for leaving me alone while I was sick. She will even, more than likely, ask to go see me. What are you going to show her: my room in the basement?”