The Great Escape

UNEDITED!

<><><><>

"Throw it away

Forget yesterday
We'll make the great escape
We won't hear a word they say
They don't know us anyway
Watch it burn
Let it die
Cause we are finally free tonight..."

Boys Like Girls "The Great Escape"

***

“Wow, this meal looks amazing,” I stated as I stared down at the roast beef, mash potatoes and green beans Chey had cooked up. The meat was steaming and giving off an aroma that made my mouth water. The mash potatoes were creamy and fluffy, whereas the sautéed green beans looked cooked to perfection.

“Thank you,” Chey stated as she sat down across from me at the table. “I put the roast on before I left for work, it’s been cooking all day. Should be nice and tender by now,” She stated as we put our napkins in our laps. 

I smiled, “You didn’t have to go all out for me.”

Chey shook her head, “I didn’t. Mind you, I didn’t even know you were going to come over tonight, seeing as I asked you today at work.” Chey grabbed her fork, “I cook a good, hearty, meal every night. Just because I am single, doesn’t mean I would and do live off T.V dinners.” Chey took a bite of her mash potatoes, prompting me to do that same. 

After trying her garlic herb mash potatoes, I moaned, “Holy Cow, this is amazing! Where did you get the recipe?” I quizzed before I took a bite of the roast beef. 

“I don’t use recipes. I experiment and hope it taste good.”

I looked at her funny, “You don’t use recipes?” 

“Nope. My father was a chef and I grew up cooking ... Like my father I have talent, for lack of a better word, of being able to make up recipes. Nine out of ten times they turn out great, like this.”  Chey said right before starting on her green beans. After a minute of silence she stopped eating and looked up at me. “Tell me what changed your mind.”

I finished chewing the meat in my mouth before answering, “My plans changed and I ended up being free,” I lied. 

Chey narrowed her eyes, ever so slightly, clearly not believing me. However, when she spoke, she seemed to move past my lie, “Okay, well, I’m so glad you joined me tonight ... After dinner, do you want me to take you home?”

Grabbing my fork, that rested on the side of my plate, I started to play with my green beans as I began to think of what to do. “We can go to that club, if you want,” I spoke as I locked eye with her. 

I knew without a shadow of a doubt I was going to break condition number one that Colton gave me:

Don’t leave her house. 

Yet, what Colton didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him, right?

Sitting there, listening to Chey rant in excitement, I knew that Colton would find out that I went out with Chey. The thought of him knowing, alone, should scare me out of my wits and make me take back my suggestion that we go out. 

However, as I sat there I decided that I wasn’t going to let what Colton would do bother me. I needed a night out, to be myself and free. 

Part of me hoped that this night will give me the recharge I needed to keep going. Then there was a sliver of doubt inside me, saying that this was not the cure and the answer I was looking for because no matter how much fun Chey and I had tonight it would never amount to the blissful memories I share with Colton.