Sweet and Low

UNEDITED

***

"Remember that your eyes can be your enemies,
I said, hell is so close and heaven's out of reach
But I ain't giving up quite yet,
I've got too much to lose..."

- Augustana "Sweet and Low"

***

Chey and I stood in the elevator as it ascended to the office floor. After a second of silence and neither of us acknowledging each other, Chey turned to me and smiled brightly. Stepping over to me Chey pulled my hair over my shoulders and straightening the frizzy ends before, fixing the collar of my shirt. “You are going to get off this elevator,” She started, “go to his office. Question him about the hit on you and about the threat he placed on that little girl, Lynn.” She said calling Duke’s sister Evalynn by the aliases I gave her. 

 “What will that do?” I questioned as she stepped away from me with a wicked grin plastered on her face. Whatever she was planning I knew was going to be diabolical. 

 The doors dinged open and we both stepped out, but made no move to go anywhere. 

“I want to see if he denies the hit, now that he is not mad at you. Although, I assume he will keep up the facade and say no. As for the threat on the child, he will down right deny that. He would never keep that up or pretend he did that because he is really against involving children in this business.”

“How will this help you?” I inquired with a raised eyebrow. If she knew what he would say, why did she want me to ask such questions? It was of no value to her theory.

“Oh, it won’t help me at all, Honey. However, you grew up with him, Allison. You will be able to see if is lying now that you are clear headed and have an agenda ahead of you. Maybe then, when he lies about ordering the hit on you, you will see that this all is a set up and I am right.”

“What will you be doing?”

Walking with me, towards Mr. Sharp’s office, Chey smiled. “I’m going to comb through the back logs. See if I can find any suspicious behavior. Maybe the person that is doing all this slipped and put something in the computers or got help from someone here. Anyways, I am one of the few people that has access to the server. I will look through it and even put red flags on everyone’s computer.”

“Red flags?” 

“Yes. I put keywords in the system and if they type something that relates to my keyword or is my keywords, my computer gets alerted."

“You can do that?” I asked with amazement at the advancement in technology. 

Chey nodded, “Mr. Sharp didn’t hire no dummy. Now, get in there.” She urged as she looked over at his office door once we reached my desk. 

I sighed, “Here goes nothing.” 

Strolling over to his door, I gathered as much courage as I could before knocking, lightly, several times. After a minute, I didn’t hear anything on the other side. Deciding not to just stand here and wait, I opened the door. 

My eyes danced around the room to see that it was empty. “He is not here,” I stated as I looked back over at Chey. 

“Does he have a meeting?”

I couldn’t remember if he did, so I walked over to my desk and looked at the calendar that was in the middle of the desk. The page was open to today and showed that he was free for the rest of the afternoon. “No.”

Chey exhaled, “He must be in his back room.”

“Well, there goes your plan,” I stated in defeat.