I Put A Spell On You

"I put a spell on you

Because you're mine, oh yeah

Stop the things you do

Watch out, I ain't lying

Oh, oh, I love you, I love you

I love you anyhow

I don't care if you don't want me

I'm yours right now I put a spell on you

Because you're mine, mine, mine

Oh, ooh you're mine..."  

-  Annie Lennox "I Put A Spell On You"

***

Colton and I had stayed on the beach for a good two hours. The time was filled with eating croissants, joking around with each other and attempting to build a sandcastle with nothing but our bare hands. It wasn’t until a breeze started to roll off the sea and blanket me that I began to shiver. Once Cole saw I was getting cold by the morning breeze he, quickly, recommended we get a hotel room so I could warm up before going shopping for clothes and supplies we will need for the next day. Reluctantly, I agreed and followed him back to the car. 

Little did I know, at that moment, that he had already booked a room. It seemed that back in New York, sometime before he ‘crashed’ my date, Cole planned this whole mini-trip.

“What if I didn’t agree to come with you?” I questioned, with a raised eyebrow. Standing beside Cole in the elevator, I watched him reach over a press the top floor button. Our bodies weren’t touching, but I could still feel the heat radiating from his body, warming me up little by little.

Colton smirked and locked eyes with me, as the doors closed ever so slowly. 

As a silence consumed the space between us, I realized he was sending me a non-verbal message.

You can’t deny me, we both know that. 

I sucked in a deep breath for I couldn’t deny Cole. I knew, even growing up, that he had full knowledge of exactly how to persuaded me. The man could talk me into anything, but he held one characteristic that would ruin his persuasion powers — the characteristic of don't ask, demand. 

Once Colton demanded I do something, all bets were off, and I'd become as stubborn as ever. However, on rare occasions he would talk me into things, kindly, with all the right words. It was then that I was utterly screwed.

Take, for instance, the time when I was thirteen and told Colton I was going to chop off all my hair and dye it pink. He, of course, flipped his shit and told me there was no way in Hell that was happening. He demanded that I keep my hair the way it was. 

I, however, didn't take kindly to him demanding I keep my hair the same. So, I took the liberty of cutting my hair and dying it after he left my house that night.

Needless to say when I walked over to his home, the next morning and woke him up, he all but had a heart attack over what I did to my hair. Cole knew at that moment that if he forced me to dye it back to its original color, I would just rebel — again. So, he calmed down and coaxed me into changing it back to honey blonde by my free will. "You look older, more sophisticated with it blonde." He told me as he took in the pink. 

His words continued until guilt and shame consumed me. He didn't tell me or demand I change it. But in the end, I did what he wanted for the spell he had over me was too strong.

“What - what if I wanted another room?” I quickly questioned, looking over and up at him. I, for once, wanted him to feel cornered and at a loss for what to do or say.