Half of My Heart

Unedited

***

"Oh half of my heart's got a grip on the situation
half of my heart takes time
half of my heart's got a right mind to tell you
that I can't keep loving you (can't keep loving you)
oh, with half of my heart..."

- John Mayer "Half of My Heart"

***

Sitting at the desk that was placed to the right of Colton’s office door, I began to wonder what to do. Chey had informed me that my job was simple: answer calls, take messages, transfer calls to Colton’s office, set his schedule and then remind him of his meetings or appointments. The job, to me, was easy enough. However, no calls were currently coming in and as for his schedule it was clear for the rest of the day. 

 Go, make yourself useful ... That statement spoken by Colton a few minutes ago rattled around in my thoughts, along with some other lines he choose to say to me. 

 I snorted at the fact that he dared threaten my father. While my biological father didn’t really aid in my raising, he was a good man — always there for me and willing to help me whenever I needed assistance. I’ve always thought that if Colton wasn’t in my life growing up, I would have been a Daddy’s girl. However, that was never the case because I never really need my father, I always had Colton... 

The sound of the phone ringing nearly scared me out of my wits. However, I soon recovered and reached over, answering the call. “Hello, this is Allison with AAC, may I ask who is speaking?” 

“Allison?!” A cheerful voice spoke with shock. 

I furrowed my eyebrows wondering who was speaking before I realized who that someone was, “Mrs. Pierce?” 

“What a surprise!” Colton’s mom said from the other line. “When did you start working for Colton? How do you like it? Damn that boy, he didn’t tell me! So, are you living with him out there? Do you like it?” 

I chuckled at Mrs. Pierces because she was always one to jump around with her questions when she was excited or curious about something. Growing up I found it humorous and, evidently, still do. “I just started today. So far I like it a lot,” I lied.

“Well, that’s great! Anywho, I was calling to say that Colton’s father and I are in town. We wanted to see if Colton wanted to have dinner with us tonight. However, now that I know you are in town too, I must insist that you come! We plan to go to that fancy place on third. I’ve always wanted to go there ... Oh Ally, will you, please, join us?” Mrs. Pierce asked with excitement as she called me by the nickname she adopted for me when I was little. 

I bit my bottom as I wondered what my reply to her should be. 

If Colton knew what his mother was asking me he would, probably, demand that I tell her I was busy tonight. After all, I was in trouble for tearing up his office and there was no way he’d allow me to have nice dinner with his parents. Plus, Colton would be on his tippy toes the whole night with worry that I was going to tell his parents what he is doing to me. 

Smiling, I knew that if I agreed to go to dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Pierce that Colton would have to take me because if he didn’t his mom would drill Colton on where I was and why I couldn’t come. The only excuse Colton could ever throw at her to make her stop asking him about me was by telling her that I was sick and couldn’t come. If that was the case Mrs. Pierce, being the person she is, would chew him out for leaving me alone while I was sick and then demand to go see me and aid in my recovery. 

That was Mrs. Pierce for you, always willing to jump in and help people. 

“Since I’m free tonight — why not?” I stated as I figured this would be good revenge for Colton. He’d be mad at me for saying I could go, but there wasn’t a damn thing he could do about it.