Hard to Love

As usual: UNEDITED!

***

"I'm hard to love, hard to love,
No, I don't make it easy,
I couldn't do it if I stood where you stood.
I'm hard to love, hard to love,
You say that you need me,
I don't deserve it but I love that you love me, good."

- Lee Brice "Hard to Love"

***

Colton's P.O.V

Two days, that is how long it has been since Alice has communicated to me - alone. Our fight was clearly not something she could sleep on and approach me the next day to say that she wants to put all this behind us and start over. No, this was obviously something she was taking seriously and not wavering one inch on.

The only time she would talk to me is around Penny. I could tell that she didn't want Penny to know that we were fighting. I had become curious though how she would break it to Penny that they were quote-unquote 'leaving by the end of the week'.

I've attempted to talk to Alice and tell her she is more than welcome to stay, for whatever length of time she needed. However, Alice doesn't let me get a word in before I receive an icy glare that gives off the vibe 'go die'.

My mind has run wild with ideas to win her back. Immediately, I thought about showering her with gifts, yet it dawned on me that that was the worst possible thing I could do. She wanted the old Cole back, and he wouldn't shower her with gifts because he would be broke. The fact she didn't see was that if I were as rich as I was now, growing up, she would have been treated like a queen from day one. Alice would have never had a wanting bone in her body, she would have received everything her heart desired.

But the truth of the matter was, I wasn't rich growing up. I mean, don't get me wrong I had money, stemming from my parents. Yet, it was nothing compared to my bank accounts now.

In my mind, I tried to recall what I did in the past when she was younger and angry at me. A few idea popped into my mind, but I was afraid that times had changed, and my attempts will be feeble.

I considered speaking a scene of Shakespeare to her, knowing that always wiggled a giggle out of her. Yet, I knew that wouldn't work. This was not something where I could make her laugh, and all would be forgiven.

I once had other methods, stored away in my back pocket for rainy days like this, but nothing seemed grand enough or worthy of her to simply let me back in.

"Mr. Sharp," A voice jolted me from my thoughts.

Looking up I saw Rochelle staring at me from in front of my desk. "Yes, what is it?" I questioned as I straightened up in my chair. I analyzed Rochelle to see that she had a sullen expression on her face.

"Do you want the bad news or the worst news first?" She asked as she gripped two folders that were in her hand so tightly that her knuckles turned white.

I picked up on her tone; she was holding back tears and a breakdown. Sighing, I knew this could not be good. "Worst new, then bad," I stated with a raised eyebrow at what she about to tell me.

"I looked into what you asked me. I first check Chey's computer. Her whole computer had been wiped, by a professional I might add. With some of my skills, I was able to find a data trace, through my computer and our server, on the last few things she searched for and did on her computer." Rochelle gulped, visibly. "I-I ... saw that she ... well, she found ... she found some files, pictures and videos of ... Destin and, your bodyguard, Tony not only plotting the hit on Ms. Allison Snow ... but also evidence of them doing it." Rochelle tossed me one of her folders.