Liar

Unedited!

***

“You've taken my life so take my soul

That's what you said and I believed it all

I wanna be with you as long

As you want me to

But don't move away...”

The Dog Night “Liar"

<><><><><>

Colton wiggled in the black leather seat as his eyesight shifted away from me. “I - well, I own a company,” He vaguely stated, clearly not wanting to explain anymore.

I chuckled at how he was beating around the bush, “A company? What is the name of this company you own?”

It took Colton a good minute, but soon he looked over at me and responded, “I don’t mix business with my personal life, Alice. I’ve told you this already.”

A frown found my face, as I felt like he really didn’t want to tell me what was going on in his life. This whole not mixing business with pleasure excuse was down right stupid.

“I don’t like it when you frown, Alice,” He exclaimed as he reached over and grabbed my chin. Colton moved my head to fully face him. “Smile?”

“I don’t like it when people don’t tell me things ... especially you, Cole,” I muttered as I moved my chin out of his grasp. “... I thought we agreed that this was going to be an honest friendship. No hiding things.”

Colton, who didn’t like how I was turning his words back on him, sighed. “Fine, I will tell you one fact about my business every day-”

“One fact? Cole, you are acting weird about this. All I want to know is where you work-”

“It’s complicated and a long story.”

I plundered on it for a second, “...One fact, a day?”

“Everyday - as long as, of course, you give me one thing you have been up to while I’ve been gone.”

I’d no idea how to react to what he was proposing. Part of me felt like this was a set up, that he worked at some company that everyone has heard of and is nothing new but he was making it out to be something big and secretive just to find out what I have been doing the past two years. “Alright ... we have a deal.”

“Great, you first,” Cole said with a smile.

I snickered, “I don’t know where to start.”

“Tell me one thing you did in the two year span I was ... gone.”

“Well ... - you know this is ridiculous! Can’t you just tell me where you work and get it over-”

“Alice.” Cole warned with his deep tone. It was clear that he wanted me to tell him something — anything about what I have been up too, with no objection to his proposal that I irrationally accepted.

“You will be mad at me, Cole. By the end of this all, you will be ashamed of me and will want to never see my face again ... I did things, Cole. Things I regret...”

Colton studied me for a second, “You made mistakes, Alice. As long as the mistakes-”

“One month,” I stated cutting him off.

“Huh?” He stated in confusion.

“One month to the day that you decided to cut me out of your life I went to a party. I’d never been to one and I will admit, it was a whole other world ... I drank, way more than I should have that night. But, in the midst of my drunken state I felt numb. Numb to the pain that coursed through my body every single day with the mere thought that I was no longer in or allowed to be involved in your life. That night was the first of many...”

“Many?”

I looked Colton square in the eye as a smile stretched on my face, “Of many ... The party world drew me in, Cole, more than you can fathom. It was my escapism...”

Colton stared at me, with a blank expression. It felt like a lifetime before he replied, “Four months.”

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused as to what he meant, “Four months?”

Smiling Colton realized his length of time gave as much confusion to me, as mine did to him earlier. “Fourth months and a few days before I told you the lie -  that I wanted you out of my life - my aunt’s son died. He left his business to me.” Colton stated.

“That is it? That is all I get? ... Why didn’t you tell me, back then? What is the business? What was his name?...”

Colton chuckled at my questions. “I didn’t tell you back then, because I was unsure if I should accept ownership of the business and even back then I didn’t want you mixed in with my business life.”

I snorted, “Bullshit, you told me everything back then ... there is something you are hiding. Tell me,” I urged.

Reaching over, Colton flicked my nose. “You are too curious for your own good.”

I rubbed my nose, “I just want to know, Cole. You are the one being so allusive.”

“We are here,” Colton stated as the car door opened.

I looked over to see that Larry was holding the door open. My eyes flickered back over to Colton, “This is not over,” I proclaimed right before getting out of the car.