Chapter 38

Sizhui tapped on the surface of the table with his slender fingers.

He was dazed and his eyes held a peculiar longing look. His hair was ruffled up from its usual appearance, and his GusuLan ribbon was strangely loose. It seemed to want someone to unwrap itself off Sizhui's head, and muffled its quiet sobs while dancing to the breeze.

"You've got to stop looking so depressed." Across the table was Wei Wuxian, who twirled his curly hair around a finger casually. "Jin Ling will come to eventually."

Sizhui looked down at the table, his bangs dangling down to cover his expression.

However, Wei Wuxian noticed his son's pursed lips and sighed. "I get it. You're impatient and yearning for Jin Ling right now. But have you ever considered Jin Ling's feelings? You left him for four years without saying a word; in the end, it was his maidservant who passed along your message. Jin Ling was abandoned again, Sizhui."

Sizhui's face had darkened. He knew that it wasn't right to abandon Jin Ling. He didn't want Jin Ling to suffer. However, he also didn't want Jin Ling to overwork and over-exhaust himself like that day of the Koi Tower's fire.

"Here." Wei Wuxian nudged Sizhui by the shoulder. Looking up from the table, Sizhui's beautiful eyes widened as he noticed the small wooden box that Senior Wei had placed on the table.

"This is..." Sizhui tilted his head.

Wei Wuxian smirked. "Look inside."

Doing as he was told, Sizhui gently opened the box. Inside was a beautiful jewelry ornament; a jade pendant that glistened when shone and reflected in the sun. The jewelry was attached to a string, which formed into a remarkable necklace. "Why, Senior Wei?" Sizhui asked.

His voice quivered and his adam's apple bobbed.

Wei Wuxian smirked; his teeth a handsome color of white. "It's a gift you can give to Jin Ling. Perhaps, his anger will die down a bit."

Sizhui clenched onto the necklace. Its texture was smooth like marble.

Jade was a valuable material that earned everyone's love and adoration. If he gave such a beautiful jewelry to Jin Ling... would he forgive him?

"Go ahead." Wei Wuxian whistled. "It's better to give an old friend a gift when meeting again. It's never good to meet someone empty-handed; so take it. Even if Jin Ling doesn't forgive you, you'll still feel better if he accepted your gift, right?"

Sizhui softly lowered his head. His lips straightened to a small smile. "Yes, Senior Wei."

*****

The daylight outside was gentle to the touch.

Flowers sat within their pots while swaying to the wind. It seemed like another wonderful day again. Shao Qing reached out a hand to close the windows. She turned around and her dress sashayed due to the sudden movement. Shao Qing held in her arms a mount of papers.

Many orders were written on the stack of papers, and just reading through it made her dizzy.

"Sect Leader Jin," She bowed to Jin Ling, who sat in an extravagant seat while sipping on a cup of tea. "Here are the papers for the scheduled meeting next week." After placing down the stack of paper before the Sect Leader, Jin Ling's curtain of eyelashes faltered for a second before fluttering open.

As usual, his phoenix eyes were able to capture any maiden's heart (including men too).

"This much?" Jin Ling frowned at the stack. He gently took a page off the top of the stack, reading the first paragraph already.