Chapter 40

Jingyi sneezed.

He couldn't help but grumble sarcastically underneath his breath, "Great. Who is thinking about me at this time? I'm happy to be popular, but even popular has its backlashes."

Beside him was Ouyang Zizhen, who nudged him rudely on the ribs. "Shut up. Nobody's thinking about you. Don't get such a big ego."

"You shut up." Jingyi talked back. "I never asked for your opinion."

Jingyi went quiet. His gaze lowered as he sighed. "But still..." Abruptly, he stood up from the stairs that he sat at. He astonished Ouyang Zizhen, who watched him with an awry expression. "WHAT'S WITH THE GODDAMN RUMOURS ABOUT SIZHUI!"

Ouyang Zizhen's jaw dropped. "Calm down!" He stood up as well, massaging Jingyi's shoulders at an attempt to saturate the other.

Jingyi didn't calm down. Instead, his pupils quaked like they never did before. "They say that Sizhui snuck inside the Koi Tower and attempted to sexual assault Sect Leader Jin! I never knew that Sizhui would actually listen to Senior Wei's shameless words and lose his head so easily! Now, everyone's misunderstanding."

By the side of the Cloud Recesses was a pond of sultry still water. The reflection of the moon quivered upon the surface, sometimes rippling along to Jingyi's loud voice.

Jingyi added more, "Sometimes, I don't even know what Sizhui is thinking! Such an idiot! I wish that I could punch the beans out of him!"

Slowly, Ouyang Zizhen shrank back. In the distance, he caught the sight of a gorgeous man stepping with a laidback style of white clothes. That figure of the young man stepped in front of the two cultivators, looking down at them with a disappointed expression. "What did you want to do to me?" Sizhui spat.

Jingyi stiffened. He wore a rigid smile and twitched. "Nothing."

*****

Within a week, the meeting between the 'four' great sects was held in the Koi Tower. The entire interior of the building was decorated in outstanding but not too eye-catching gold, while placated with a soothing fragrance of sandalwood. Plants and greenery were garnished in the corners. Not a speck of dirt or dust could be found.

Hidden in the shadows, Shao Qing smiled. As a maidservant, it was her duty to serve for the Young Master, and also to clean up the house.

In the banquet hall, all varieties of furnitures were removed. Only four tables (each designated for the four big sects) remained, standing aloof to face one another in the shape of a square. A vase that carried several lilies had been placed on the centre of each table.

Jin Ling wore a pair of extravagant golden robes, with Sizhui's gifted jade pendant dangling and hanging from his waist. All in all, he seemed extremely majestical.

His phoenix eyes curved upwards beautifully, and his vermillion mark shone outstandingly in contrast when compared to his guanyin Jade-like skin. Not a single blemish could be found, and he balanced the golden hairpin placed on his head, while occasionally brushing past the crevices of his white neck.

Jin Ling took a seat by Lanling Jin's table, swishing his long sleeves. "Let the guests come in."

Hearing his order, Shao Qing cleared her throat. "Yunmeng Jiang!"

The doors opened.

All the current maidservants had stiffened as they felt an oppressing aura enter. The sound of boots clicked against the marble floor, and the sound of thunder trying to muffle its crackles. Jiang Cheng wore iron gauntlets that only covered the base of his wrists, while Zidian was tucked underneath his waistband. His purple robes sashayed and swiftly touched the flooring.