Chapter 2

"The Lanling Jin, Yunmeng Jiang, and Qinghe Nie sects have arrived!"

     Lan Yuan—courtesy name Lan Sizhui—was eager for the day to finally come. Although he wore a simple smile with well-knitted eyebrows and a pair of relaxed grey eyes, he had an immense yearn for the upcoming event later that day. It was finally the day where the young disciples of the big four clans would attend Cloud Recesses to inhabit a better learning environment.

     Apparently, there was one Lan disciple who'd like to differ. "Ugh," Lan Jingyi had groaned. "We have to spend another year of Old Man Lan babbling on with the Wall of Disciplines." That peculiar 'Lan' was Sizhui's partner when going on night hunts. They were buddies, and many people mistaken them as twins at first sight.

     Once they get a catch of their personality, it'll be simple to differ them.

     "It's important to remember the Lan Sect rules though." Sizhui politely responded.

     Jingyi rolled his eyes conspicuously. "Only you are looking forward to this, you goodie-two-shoes." After that statement, Jingyi had playfully shoved Sizhui by the shoulder. Sizhui had only laughed a bit at it.

     "Yes, I'm a goodie-two-shoes."

     "Well then," Jingyi sighed. "I can't say I'm not interested in the disciples that are staying for a year with us. Come on, let's go see them!" Sizhui almost yelped in surprise when Jingyi grabbed his hand and began dragging him towards the welcoming centre, where a massive pile of cultivators had grouped together. A great commotion was going on there, with few mutters of disappointment piping from left to right.

"What's going on?" Jingyi mumbled.

A great circle of audiences had surrounded the source, while the two GusuLan disciples couldn't see an inch. In fact, they were pushed outwards. It seemed that nobody wanted to bring them inside.

"Is that really him?"

"You mean that future sect leader?"

"Yeah. From Lanling Jin sect, I heard."

"That's him. The poor guy—has to deal with practically everything in his sect. And the disrespect is huge!"

"But he has his uncle to support him, right?"

"His uncle? Are you kidding me? Jiang Cheng doesn't lessen any of the kid's burden! He only multiplies it with his insults. 'Oi brat', he would say. And the kid would look so scared, as if he peed his pants!"

Laughter commentated around that specific group of cultivators, who extremely seemed like the gossip type. It struck a nerve on Sizhui, but he ignored it and pushed deeper into the crowd along with Jingyi, who looked just as confused. "Young futuristic sect leader? What the hell does that all mean?" Jingyi groaned. He made sure to stay close to Sizhui, who never knew how to stop. Indeed, they kept moving forward like a river stream dropping down a steep hill.

"Apparently, the future sect leader's uncle is... the Jiang sect leader, Jiang Cheng? According to the comments." Sizhui analyzed.

He gently pushed passerby's out of his path, similar to a bulldozer destroying everything within its radius. "I don't remember Jiang sect leader ever having a nephew." Jingyi babbled. "Oi, your adoptive-mom's step-brother is Jiang Cheng, right? Which means that the future Lanling Jin sect leader would be your adoptive mother's step-nephew."

Once Jingyi finished his statement, the two disciples had arrived at the midst of the commotion.

There was a patch of well-trimmed grass, with petite flowers swaying back and forth along with the beat of the breeze. The sun seemed to shine its ray of sunlight unto the patch, like heavens opening its gates for a new goddess. Indeed, it really was a goddess that was bestowed upon the grass. Sizhui's eyes lit up as he came in contact with swift locks of warm brown hair—which was tied up into a high ponytail. Nevertheless, the wavy strands would reach down to the cultivator's knees, quite the long length for a man. But in the cultivating world, it was important to keep their hair long.