Chapter 29

Jin Ling cautiously watched his lover on the sidelines.

Whether if Sizhui was touring around the plaza, counting his ingots, or just patting some dirt off his shoes, Jin Ling would patiently accept it all. In fact, Jin Ling didn't dare to blink. He was afraid that he'd miss some sort of important detail that might cost him thousands of gold ingots.

However, nothing interesting was going on. Sizhui was just on a stroll to shop for some goods. There was nothing unusual going on.

Jin Ling puffed out his chest. No, no, Jin Ling, you mustn't give up! This is the same person Wei Wuxian and HanGuang-Jun raised!

The day continued out boringly. Nothing interesting or suspicious occurred, and that was only deemed more suspicious to Jin Ling. He sighed while tucking himself in bed. Sizhui laid right by his side, unsure of what was going on in his lover's brain. Sizhui was puzzled at the sudden plummet in Jin Ling's stamina. "A-Ling? Are you alright?"

"Ah?" Jin Ling stiffened. He turned around to face Sizhui's confused face. "Yes yes! I'm perfectly fine!"

"Are you sure?" Sizhui pressed closer against the younger one. A teasing smile was apparent on his concerning face, "I've been hearing that A-Ling is sighing a lot. If your work is too tiring, then it's fine for you to take a break."

"Really?" Jin Ling perked up. Suddenly, he felt as if he'd gain a thousand pounds of more energy.

"Yes, so go to sleep." Sizhui smiled.

A disappointed look crossed Jin Ling's face. Suddenly, he didn't want the day to end.

*****

"A-Ling?" Sizhui mumbled. When he had woken up, he realized that his lover who was originally sleeping by his side had left. Morning arrived. The sun blindly shone throughout the curtains. Sizhui squinted his eyes at the bright light. However, all he wished for was his lover.

"Are you looking for Young Master Jin?" A maidservant entered inside the room. She was Shao Qing, who was promoted to become Jin Ling's personal maidservant (after the Town Cheng Du arc). She smiled, "Young Master Jin is wandering around the marketplace."

Where I was yesterday? Sizhui pondered. He didn't think much of it though, hurriedly getting up from the bed and reluctantly getting changed.

When he found Jin Ling, the latter was searching the aisle for fruits.

Sizhui was puzzled again. What is Jin Ling doing? His curiosity transcended into suspicion as he continued watching. Jin Ling did not do anything else but stroll around the aisles, occasionally picking up fruits to wipe and place back.

*****

It was nighttime once again.

Only the sound of dragonfly wings flapping outside the window was available. If possible, one could try and listen closely to the sound of their own heartbeat pulsing within their veins. Jin Ling shuffled around in the blanket. He was tormented by what secrets Sizhui kept from him. The latter shuffled around as well. He was tormented by what secrets Jin Ling kept from him.

Both finally shuffled around to end as a result- facing each other.

Jin Ling bashfully hid underneath the blankets once he earned his lover's glance. I was caught!

Sizhui was puzzled. He gently lifted up the blanket, revealing his lover's soft embarrassed look. Sizhui smiled, gently poking at Jin Ling's tender cheeks. "A-Ling, why haven't you slept yet?"

"I could ask you the same thing!" Jin Ling shot back.

Sizhui flinched. I was caught!

Jin Ling began rambling on, his embarrassment transforming into a sense of annoyance. "Besides... haven't you been ignoring me long enough now? You don't give me any attention anymore. It's like you no longer care about me. Do you love someone else? What about me? Are you just going to leave me behind? Have you taken a fancy to any of the other people? Or is it just that I'm not good enough-"

He was interrupted when a strong force attached to his front self.

Sizhui laid on top of Jin Ling, their chests pressing against each other, while their faces were only inches apart. "A-Ling, do you think it's possible for me to love anyone else but you?"

Jin Ling squirmed uncomfortably. "But... but..."

Sizhui pressed their foreheads against each other, warmth transmitting from one to another.

Suddenly, a warm sensation overcame Jin Ling. He soothed down, while his temper gradually lowered. His eyelashes lowered as well, bringing a forecast shadow over his eyelids. It brought an unhesitating appeal to himself. Sizhui gulped down his self control. "A-Ling, I'm sorry we haven't been spending much time together recently. You're... you're almost becoming a Sect Leader. It's almost about time for our to take the throne of Lanling Jin. And when that happens... I'll have to be by your side to support you. However, right now, I need to make sure you're ready."

Jin Ling urged, "but..."

"Don't you see, A-Ling?" Sizhui smiled, "once you're ready, we'll be together as much as you want. This doesn't have anything to do with you not being good enough. I love A-Ling and A-Ling loves me. What could possible come between us? So don't think of those useless thoughts."

He poked Jin Ling's forehead, causing the latter to bump the back of their head against their pillow.

"Okay." Jin Ling laughed.

Sizhui focused on the red vermillion mark on his lover's forehead. It was adorable as the person himself. He laughed, "it's good that you get it. Otherwise, we'll have too many lover quarrels."

Once they went back to sleep, there were no more worries that haunted their night.

For once, the stars that night shone especially bright. Perhaps, it symbolized just how much the two lover's feelings had improved. If it was a good thing or bad, nobody knew. Not even an immortal could predict tomorrow's outcomes. Not even an immortal could predict what would happen next year, or maybe the year after. Not a single immortal predicted that in one year, Jin Ling, courtesy name Jin Rulan, would finally uptake the role of Lanling Jin's sect leader.