Chapter 9

Suggestion: LISTEN TO THE VIDEO (SONG, IT'S LIVE) FOR BETTER EFFECTS. If you have any questions about the song, I'll be free to answer them for you. Fun fact, the singer who sang in the video is the same singer who sang Xue Yang's theme song.

"It's cold." Jin Ling shuddered as he sauntered in the forest. Chills were sprawled up over his body, as if his heat was teleported far away and withered into thin air. "Of course it is, Young Mistress." Jingyi scoffed.

"Stop calling me that." Jin Ling had argued back.

     "Why should I? You're acting like a Young Mistress, when you're supposed to be a 'Young Master'." Jingyi taunted.

     "Both of you guys, please stop arguing." Sizhui began soothing them, like a mother caressing her newborn child. "We're here to hunt fierce corpses, not to bicker."

     "But Sizhui," Jin Ling's eyes almost watered a bit. "Your friend is making fun of my gender."

     "Jingyi." Sizhui changed sides immediately. "Don't make fun of Jin Ling's gender. Please and thank you."

     "Hey, Sizhui!" Jingyi frowned. "Who died and made you Queen?"

     "Cut it out, you lovebirds." Wei Ying had rolled his eyes sceptically. "You're going to attract all the fierce corpses—even though that is our goal."

     The young cultivators had all shut up, as if their mouths were glued shut, with a fat spirit resting on them. They were travelling in the forest, with trees all around them as if they were participating in a ritual. It was dark—too dark for Jin Ling's liking. And it was cold as well, if he was blind, he would've mistaken the surrounding as the north of GusuLan. But instead, they were in the middle of the woods.

     Wei Ying had told them they were between GusuLan and Lanling Jin, but it was like they were still in the Cloud Recesses.

Darkness swayed by their backs, with a shivering breeze lingering by. Jin Ling had to ignore his temptation of sneezing, and hide his swarm of swearings to Jingyi. "Let's see," Wei Ying began. "ZeWu-Jun had already split the two groups, so his group is all the way resting in Qishan Wen, around Shanxi, while us—the other group—is still heading towards Lanling Jin to lure out all the fierce corpses."

"Mn." Lan Zhan had nodded.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's hurry up and get this over with already!" Wei Ying squealed delightfully like a child, rushing on ahead from the group. A tingle of disappointment had settled in Jin Ling's heart. Don't tell me my step-uncle is still the same childish him from his adolescence.

Their footsteps collided against several roots and fallen branches, but mainly a straight pathway of dirt. Unfortunately, their group only consists of three younger cultivators and two experienced; Jingyi, Sizhui, Wei Ying, Lan Zhan, and Jin Ling. The Young Mistress knew that their group had formed from not their strengths, but from their relationships. Having a couple of cultivating friends as the ones who lure the corpses wasn't a bad idea—but it wasn't good either.

"It's freezing." Jin Ling shuddered. Although he was carrying a plump bag of stored arrows on his back, the furniture had preserved no warmth to the Young Mistress. And as a result, Jin Ling was freezing cold. The poor guy could only cling to his sheathed sword, Suihua, imagining a transfer of heat from the handle of the sword to his palms.

"That's the second time you complained, Young Mistress." Jingyi rolled his eyes.

Jin Ling ignored him and continued in charging behind his step-uncle's shadow—which wasn't apparent within the dark forest at all. "How about this. If you manage to shut your mouth for a day, I'll never call you 'Young Mistress' ever again. Deal?" Jingyi asked. If it wasn't for his mourning clothes, Jin Ling would've mistaken the cultivator as an old geezer playing the role of a gambler.