Chapter 11

"Are you okay, Jin Ling?"

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"If you want, we can have Senior Wei take a look for you."

"Please, Jin Ling! Just in case, you need to have Senior Wei examine you!"

"Did you tell me the whole story? Or were you just lying to me?"

A vein popped from Jin Ling's forehead as he was bombarded with questions from Sizhui, who hadn't stop blabbering his mouth nonstop. "Can you shut up, for God's sake?" Jin Ling snapped. The questions had cut off as Sizhui was surprised at the sudden eruption of the Young Mistress' temper. "Sorry." Sizhui sank down to his seat.

     After the battle at Qishan Wen, the young cultivators had all been brought back to the Cloud Recesses, granted with three days full of rest. Of course, that was supposed to be good news for Jin Ling—all until he caught Sizhui's attention.

     "I'm fine. There's nothing wrong with me." Jin Ling frowned. "Or am I just that untrustworthy?"

     "No!" Sizhui cried. "I did not mean to shame you."

"Really? Then shut up." Jin Ling deadpanned. The two juniors were inside Jin Ling's sleeping quarter, nothing out of the ordinary, but to Sizhui, the deal was enormous. Of course, the Young Mistress' room wasn't as tidy or clean as Sizhui's, but it was beyond average. They sat at a table quietly while munching on some freshly picked strawberries that Xichen had given.

     "I'm sorry for disturbing your rest, Jin Ling." Sizhui frowned. "But I can't help but worry for you. Especially since you were facing a fierce corpse without our knowledge, and set the forest on fire-"

     "It was only a tiny bit of the forest!" Jin Ling corrected.

     Sizhui nodded. "Yes, but Jin Ling! Are you sure you're alright?"

Jin Ling flashed him an icy glare, "How about you check for yourself?" Although the statement came as a threat, Sizhui's cheeks had immediately flushed up at the thought of examining his rival's body for wounds. "I wouldn't dare to, since I'm not a medical expert." Sizhui dodged the bullet with ease.

"Oh, is that so?" Jin Ling scoffed. "Then why don't you do me a favour?" A sinister smile plastered over the Young Mistress' face.

*****

Jin Ling hid behind the kitchen wall, biting a nail to prevent himself from letting out any sound.

What was he doing in the middle of night? What else but spying on Lan Sizhui! Jin Ling knew he had requested for Sizhui to make him a box of fried egg rice, but he never knew the GusuLan disciple would decide making it in the night! The Cloud Recesses' kitchen had a warm radiant and a nostalgic smell of fried egg rice. Jin Ling had sometimes taken small peeks at Sizhui—who haven't moved from the pan that carried the food.

When Jin Ling says 'haven't moved', he meant it in a serious manner. Not even Sizhui's arm had moved, and the food in the pan had begun to burn.

     "Oh no!" Sizhui squeaked.

     Jin Ling had flung both of his hands over his mouth in order to stop himself from laughing out loud, and exposing himself at the same time. "Ahh, what am I going to do now that I burnt Jin Ling's food..." Sizhui whined.

     The Young Mistress found it surprising to hear a great role model like Sizhui to whine.

"Would Jin Ling mind if I make him eat Jingyi's cooking again?" Just hearing that statement from Sizhui's mouth had shattered the Young Mistress' heart in pieces. "No." Sizhui pressed on. "I can't rely on Jingyi again. But I guess it won't hurt if I borrow a recipe from Jingyi."