Chapter 7

"Jin Ling! Wait a second!" Sizhui had raced after the younger cultivator's heel.

"What do you want? The lesson had already ended for the day, so leave me alone!" Jin Ling scowled, a face drastically full of intimidation. The young cultivator was actually in a happy mood, but when he found Sizhui running after him, all that positivity had vanished into oblivion. "Go away! Get lost!" Jin Ling yelled, his steps quickening in each second. In the end, he began running.

"Jin Ling! I need to tell you something! Please wait, Jin Ling!" Sizhui called, but Jin Ling's pace did not slow down. In fact, it only fastened.

     "God, give up already, Sizhui! Just leave me alone!" Jin Ling annoyingly shouted.

     "Just hear me out, Jin Ling!" Sizhui argued back, but the cultivator didn't stop.

In the end, the two cultivators were running circles around the perimeter of the Cloud Recesses, sometimes with passerby's darting confused looks at the two. Jin Ling's rash shouts had dissolved into whining insults, while Sizhui's polite comments had grown into begs.

     All of a sudden, Jin Ling stopped abruptly, turning on his heel to face Sizhui. He did not expect the GusuLan disciple to be so close, and to have their foreheads clash against each other.

     CLANG a resounding thud had echoed in the distance.

     "Gah!" Jin Ling had hissed as igniting pain had vulnerably attacked his forehead. He hurriedly clutched his forehead, with his hands covering his vermillion mark successfully. "Stop doing that all the time!" Jin Ling thrashed, bending down to ease his pain—which ended up not doing anything. "Then you need to stop being so abrupt when stopping!" Sizhui sighed, a red bruise beginning to showcase on his forehead as well.

     "Fine." Jin Ling huffed. "What do you want from me?" He got up from crouching at the ground, hands on his hips as he haughtily asserted.

     "...I," Sizhui began. "I want to apologize that I do not have a meal prepared for you today."

Jin Ling looked away from. Silly, I already knew that. "Yeah? So what?" Jin Ling scoffed, darting an intimidating look towards the GusuLan disciple. Sizhui was taken back, with a surprised expression plastered over on his face. "Is it okay that I have no meal?"

"Yes, it's fine. I never said anything about wanting to eat it more than a second time." Jin Ling snapped. "And you don't have to worry about making a meal anymore. I won't have any."

"Are you sure, Jin Ling?" Sizhui asked. "You seemed like you enjoyed them-" He was abruptly cut off when Jin Ling announced, "I don't enjoy anything. Don't treat me like a baby! I don't need special treatment!" The younger cultivator's eyes had a sharp ambience of anger, prejudice, and injustice mixed. "Just leave me alone, so I won't have to owe you anything! Okay? Got it! Good! Let's begin social distancing from now on!"

And just like that, the younger cultivator had vanished from Sizhui's eyes. "S-social distancing?" Sizhui uttered.

Whenever Jin Ling was around, Sizhui would always be enraptured in the gorgeous hazelnut brown eyes of the future sect leader, practically swimming in the beauteous colour like an endless paradise of euphoria. It was almost like a never-ending spell casted upon the disciple, with his heart strings tugged in all directions. When he heard that he'd have to be separated from the ravishing young cultivator, it was as if the weight of the world had plummeted onto his shoulders.

He hid the temptation to fall onto a kneeling position, with all his hopes disintegrating from his own grey pupils. Oh, Jin Ling. How difficult is it to understand that there's no need to act?