Chapter 17

"Jin Ling, wake up."

The groggy darkness seemed to melt away as the light of a candle had ignited in the night. Jin Ling scowled gently, with dark rings smitten underneath his eyes. "What time is it..." Despite the several layers of thick blankets covering his body, his skin was colder than ice as he met the silver eyes of his step-uncle.

"It's still nighttime." Wei Wuxian smiled.

"Then... why did you wake me up." Jin Ling groggily mumbled.

Jin Ling was in his sleeping chamber back in the Koi Tower, with several blankets dumped over his lap. His hair was in a mess, with frizzes extending from his ponytail. Wei Wuxian had to muffle his laughter in order to prevent the Young Mistress' anger. However, all Jin Ling felt was an empty emotion.

He felt as if someone had carved a hole in his stomach and stolen all his treasures. "You don't look okay." Wei Wuxian began. "Your eyes are still red."

Indeed, Jin Ling had been sobbing for a long time after arriving back in Koi Tower.

None of his servants dared to intrude nor ask if he was okay. It was always like that—the Young Mistress was always by himself... always.

"Who cares if I don't look okay." Jin Ling grumbled.

He will care... somehow, the vision of a smiling Sizhui had popped into Jin Ling's brain before he pushed Wei Wuxian off his bed. The step-uncle had tumbled down the furniture, landing on the carpeted ground with a loud thud. "Ouch... What was that for!"

Jin Ling's face did not show any change. "I don't know."

Wei Wuxian went silent as he listened. "I don't know what I'm living for anymore..."

"I don't know what I'm living for either." Wei Wuxian smiled. "The world seemed to turn their backs on me. It felt like nobody gave me a second chance, like the world was a complete empty planet. It hurts, and eventually, I felt nothing inside of me anymore. My heart was a dark void, but I found someone who'd fill it up with their love. Lan Zhan truly loved me, and that was enough for me to live. Even if he didn't love me, he still fought for me. Even if he didn't fight for me, he still stood at my side. Even if he didn't stand at my side, he was still the ol' him. Even if he wasn't the ol' him, he still existed to find happiness, and that was enough."

Jin Ling's heart twitched a little.

"Who do you love, Jin Ling? Who do you want to live for?" Wei Wuxian asked.

"Leave." Jin Ling pressed. "My love... isn't for you to know."

"I know." Wei Wuxian whistled, pampering himself before elegantly leaving.

The door shut, only a candle provided the light Jin Ling needed. It was a candle, but the Young Mistress couldn't feel its warmth. He wondered if he had to touch it in order for a reaction, but chose not to. After all, he was tired.

Jin Ling plopped back down on his bed, his back straightening along with the hard exterior. Even if he shut his eyes, his pitch black world did not completely darken.

He was still awake. And that was the most irritating feeling he felt so far.

"Jin Ling..." Another hushed voice piped up. But that time, it completely dispersed his emptiness. That voice brought a current of warmth and loveliness into his body, flooding himself with that irresistible euphoria-

Sizhui was poking his head inside from Jin Ling's window, his eyes reflecting the light of the dim candlelight. "It's me." He smiled.

"Sizhui!" Jin Ling felt heat rushing to his cheeks. "W-what are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in seclusion?"