Chapter Twenty: Our Souls

We were all gathered in the lab, the team ready to go. Tony, Natasha, and Bruce all discovered that three stones would be in New York in the same year. While the other three remaining stones would be in outer space and Morag. We would be able to split into three teams and gather what we would need. 

"What will the teams be?" I asked nervously. 

"Don't worry, we wouldn't dream of separating the dream team," Tony assured me. "We all know how well you two fight together. We couldn't chance to separate you. I have the bruises to prove it." 

He said the last part jokingly, giving me a small wink. It was good to know we had moved past it, well at least we've tiptoed beside it for now. 

"Well, then where are we going? And with who?" I asked, looking around the room, trying to decide on who would end up going where. 

"It'll be you, Cap, Banner, Lang, and I going back to New York," Tony said. I nodded along, thinking that would be best. 

"Clint and Natasha will be going to Morag," Tony continued, my heart quickly did a flip, realizing if something happened, I wouldn't be there to help. But, I knew they would take care of each other. They could handle it. 

"And Rhodey, Nebula, Rocket, and Thor will all be going to space?" I concluded. 

"Correct," Tony confirmed. 

"Then let's get suited up," Steve said, and we all dispersed to get our gear on. 

~~

The walk towards the Quantum machine was nerve-wracking. Thoughts of doubt were running rampant in my head. What if we failed again? Would this be our only do-over? I don't think there would be another chance after this one. Everything would have to go just right because this will decide everything, I looked around at all of us as we approached. This team was all we had left. It was time to take back what was ours. 

We all stood in a circle on top of the platform, it was several moments before someone finally spoke up. And it was Steve. Always one for a motivational speech, he gave one of the best I've ever heard. 

"Five years ago, we lost. All of us. We lost friends... We lost family... We lost a part of ourselves. Today, we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones, get them back. One round trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs. Most of us are going somewhere we know. But it doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. And we're gonna win," Steve finished. 

I nodded along, not sure of what else there was to say. I looked around the circle, at the people who were willing to give their lives to make sure everyone else was going to be able to live theirs. 

"Whatever it takes," I finished for him, looking into his eyes. He gave me a small smile, and I looked at Tony next, who was looking at the two of us. I gave him a nod, letting him know he could trust us. He could trust we had his back. He gave me a nod back. We were all in this together. 

"Good luck," Steve said, looking over the entire group. 

"He's pretty good at that," Rocket commented. 

"Right?" Scott exclaimed. This caused me to laugh, knowing I couldn't agree more. 

"All right. You heard the man. Stroke those keys, jolly green," Tony said to Bruce, who was standing at the main computer board. 

"Yeah, we've got a hot date with destiny, and we don't want to keep her waiting," I said. Tony gave me a weird look. I shrugged my shoulders. "What? I'm mouthy when I'm nervous." 

"Tractors engaged," Bruce confirmed. 

"You promise to bring that back in one piece?" Rocket said, arms crossed and looking at Clint skeptically. Clint was holding a shrunken version of Rocket's ship. 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay. I'll do my best," Clint half-heartedly agreed. 

"As promises go, that was pretty lame," Rocket said.

"You promise to bring each other back in one piece," I said, looking between him and Natasha. The first people I ever considered family were going to be out of my grasp. If something were to happen to either of them, I wouldn't even be there to help. It was driving me crazy. But, I knew this was how it had to be. We all needed to do our part of the job. They were adults. They could handle themselves.

"We promise Momo," Natasha said, giving me a wink. But, I could see the melancholy smile she had on her face, I could tell the promise was real. She intended on keeping it. 

"See y'all in a minute," I said confidently. 

At that, we all pressed the button on our suits, zipping through the Quantum realm was a feeling like no other. It felt like I was being dragged through time, and like the wind being sucked out of me. 

Then, I blinked, and I was no longer standing on the platform in the Avenger's compound. I was standing in the streets of New York.

Who ever said the past wouldn't come back to haunt them? 

~A/N Hey everyone! I know this is sort of a shorter chapter, but we are about to get deep! Thanks for your patience and all the support and love for this story! You are the best! 

I am hoping to update this weekend as well, so please be on the lookout for a new chapter :) 

Also... has anyone been watching WandaVision? What are your thoughts? I have been loving it! I feel like each week the episodes only get better! It also feels amazing to have new Marvel material to try and guess different theories.

QOTC: Favorite  moment?~