Chapter Thirty-One: So Little Time

We were still making the most of what little time we had left together. Kissing each other and murmuring all the things we may never say again.

"You know, I am sorry I thought the worst," I told him, as I laced my fingers in his.

"I can't blame you," he said truthfully, his blue eyes peering into mine. "But I never want you to think you're in second place ever again. You are, and always have been, first. Even if she were here now, in the present, it wouldn't work. I'm not the same person I was back then, and I don't want to be. I've changed. You've changed me. You're the one I'm supposed to be."

"You know, you've changed me too. You've made me believe in things I never thought I could. Like myself," I continued. "And I know the truth now, and I'm glad I was lucky enough to be yours."

Then we both leaned in, kissing again. It was all we could seem to do. The impending doom had us still holed up in the gym.

But, there was still one other thing on my mind. The stone.

"Not to uh change the subject, but there's something you need to know that I didn't tell you. I was still upset and didn't want to complicate things further," I started, pulling myself away, although it wasn't what I wanted to do. But it felt weird keeping this from him. This weird dream that felt more like prophecy than dream.

"What is it? Is everything okay?" Steve asked, concern for me all over his face.

"I honestly don't know," I started. "I had this dream, it was so real. I don't know what it means... Tony seems to think it's no good."

"You talked to Tony about this?" he asked, he tried to mask the hurt on his face, but I watched it flicker across it for a second.

"More like I was stopped by Tony, and then had to explain myself," I assured him.

"Well, what was the dream?"

I didn't say anything, instead, I reached up a hand and projected the memory into his mind. Once I was done showing him everything, I let my hand drop to my side.

"What do you think it could mean?"

Steve wore a confused expression for a moment, deep in thought.

"Oh come on, don't make me look," I said, losing patience.

But suddenly, there was an announcement on our earpieces, telling everyone to come to the lab. Steve and I both jumped to our feet, locking eyes. We darted out of the gym, and I was hot on his heels as we ran towards the lab.

We finally made it to the lab where everyone was gathered. I gasped when I saw the glove, each stone in its rightful place. My eyes instantly locking on the yellow mind stone. I could feel both Tony and Steve's eyes on me. When I looked up, they both locked eyes with each other, nodding.

"All right. The glove's ready," Rocket said.

"Obviously," I muttered, not even moving my eyes away from the glove.

"Question is smarty-pants, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Rocket finished, rolling his eyes.

"I'll do it," Thor said instantly, walking forward.

"Excuse me?" Tony asked quickly.

My own eyes broke away from the glove to look at Thor. There was no way he was ready for this.

"It's okay," he said, waving us off and moving toward the glove.

"Stop, stop. Slow down," Tony said, putting up a hand and blocking his way, stopping Thor from reaching the glove.