Chapter Seventeen: Shit, It Worked!

Suddenly, Clint was gone. Then, in another blink of an eye, he was back. In his hands, he was clutching a baseball glove. There were tears in his eyes, he looked as if this was the only possession he had ever owned in this world. 

I reached out my hand, grabbing his, as they gripped tightly around the glove. 

"It's okay..." I tried, he looked up now, his eyes meeting mine. 

"It worked Morgan. It really worked," he said, sounding out of breath as he handed me the glove. 

"Stark!" I shouted, Tony ran into the room quickly, eyes panicked. 

"It worked," I told him, tossing him the glove. He caught it quickly, eyes meeting mine, as he gave a nod. 

"We've got more work to do." 

~~~

We were all going to meet in one of the conference rooms again, holographic displays were already lighting up the room. There was so much to go over. We couldn't mess any of this up, it was our chance. And it was probably our only chance.

As I walked into the room, I couldn't help but stare at the six holograms of the infinity stones, not believing we were getting closer to the one thing that has felt so far away. 

Tony was pulling up more facts, getting ready for the meeting of all meetings. 

"Need any help?" I offered, although I knew I wouldn't be much help with the techno stuff. 

"I wouldn't want you screwing any of it up Smithy," Tony replied, although there was a half-smile on his face. "By the way, where is the ole hubs? I didn't know you two could be apart for this long?" 

"He is, uh getting me a coffee. So I thought I'd pop down here before everyone came up," I said, my palms sweating. It had been a long time since I have had any one on one time with Tony. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Tony said, his eyebrows scrunching together. "Don't tell me you're developing a small crush on me. What would Steven say?" 

Usually, I'd play along, matching his mocking tone. But, there was something I had to say before I lost my nerve. Before the others showed up. He may want to hit me after this or kick me out, but I had to say it. 

"Tony, I'm sorry," I finally said. 

"You're sorry?" he asked, stopping in his tracks of what he was typing on. "And what exactly are you sorry for? I feel like there is a list full of things you could say sorry for, I mean for Christ's sake you NEVER shut the fridge." 

The sarcasm was expected, but I had to be serious.

"I'm sorry for what went down between us. I will never apologize for fighting and protecting Steve, but I wanted to apologize for the other stuff. You have to know, I wanted to tell you, but I couldn't. You already hated me so much, I didn't want you to hate me more. I was scared to lose everything I had worked so hard for. But, I should have told you. As soon as the memories came back, I should have told you. And I am sorry for that," I finally finished. 

He stared at me blankly for a moment. It was like he was scared to say something back. But, I didn't need him to. I said what I needed to, and that was what mattered. 

"So anyways, yeah, I am sorry for how it went down and I wanted to say thanks for coming back to help us," I finished lamely. 

I turned to leave, as Tony wasn't responding. But, I felt his hand grab my arm, and as I turned around he let me go, but he was looking at me. 

"You were my teammate," he said quietly. "As much as I pretended not to, I trusted you. I trusted you both."

"I know Tony," I said, trying not to let my voice waver, eyes turning to the ground, no longer wanting to look into his. 

"I forgive you, you know?" Tony said finally. 

"You do?" I asked hopefully, my eyes shooting up to meet his. 

"Yeah, I do. Having a kid will do this sort of thing to you," Tony chuckled. Before I knew what I was doing I wrapped my arms around him, giving him a hug. 

"You're losing you're grit Smithy," Tony said, but I felt him hug me back. "And I'm sorry about the arm." 

This made me laugh as I pulled back. 

"I think the new one is better anyway." 

"It is definitely more badass. It becomes you." 

"Thanks," I said, not wanting to push my luck.

"Don't think this means I'm going to be all mushy now," Tony quipped. 

"Oh, I wouldn't expect any less. And don't forget, I'll give it right back." 

"I'm counting on it." 

Then, Steve came walking in, Tony and I probably looked like two crazy people as we were smiling at one another. 

"What did I miss?" Steve asked, slinging an arm around my shoulders. 

"I'm sure the Mrs. will fill you in later," Tony said, before getting back to work on the holograms as everyone else started piling in the conference room. 

"So what was that about?" Steve whispered in my ear.

"I did something I should have done a long time ago," I told him, as I grabbed his cheek, quickly showing him what happened. 

I watched his face as he took it all in, not saying anything.

After I was done, I let my hand fall back to my side. Steve said nothing for a moment, then he kissed the top of my head. 

"I'm proud of you," Steve said.

Before we could talk further, Tony interrupted. 

"Now that everyone is here, let's get this thing started. Cap?" 

Steve walked to the front of the room, and we were ready to get going.