Chapter Sixteen: Dude, We Got The Band Back Together!

The jet arrived at the Avengers compound, Steve was waiting at the launch pad when we returned. I practically lept into his arms, and let his embrace envelop me. It was the anchor I needed at the moment. The temporary feeling of stability in this chaotic development. 

"Did you get him?" he whispered in my ear before releasing me.

"See for yourself," I said, before we both turned and saw Nat and Clint walking out of the jet together. 

"Is he going to be okay?" he asked me, quietly. 

"As much as the rest of us will be." 

Steve nodded, accepting this answer. Clint and Nat approached, it seemed for a moment Clint wasn't sure what to say. As if he felt out of place for a moment. 

"You've been taking care of her right?" Clint asked Steve, stepping back into the "older brother" routine. Something I didn't realize how much I missed until this moment. 

"Of course," Steve responded, wrapping an arm around me. 

"Good, that's good. We all need someone looking out for us," Clint said, before squeezing Nat's hand. The two of them walked off, probably to get Clint settled in. We didn't have much time to spare. We'd have to get things going soon. 

"He seems shaken," Steve said, once they were out of earshot. 

"His entire family is gone. They were all there, then poof, each one gone. That has to do something to you," I said, shaking my head. I wouldn't be able to imagine what it would feel like if Steve had been dusted. 

"Well come on," Steve said, grabbing my hand and leading me into the building. "Tony has been working non-stop." 

"I can't wait to see what he and Bruce have come up with," I said, following behind Steve enthusiastically. It was hard not to get my hopes up. We had some of the biggest minds working on this. If anyone could figure it out, they could. 

I walked into the big lab room, the one where we had originally conducted the experiment with Scott. Loud rock n roll music was blasting through the speakers, I could see Tony hauling a bunch of equipment as he passed... Who was he passing? 

"Is that...?" I trailed off, nudging Steve. 

Steve gave a slight nod. 

"I think this whole thing has hit him in a way it didn't hit the rest of us." 

I couldn't believe the Thor I was seeing in front of me. Tony nor Thor had noticed come in yet so I got to look him over before either noticed me staring. It was such a stark change since the last time I had seen him. His hair and bear were overgrown, looking like it hadn't been washed or even brushed in weeks. His stomach, which was normally toned from all of the fighting and training, was now overgrown. He had on dark sunglasses and clothes that looked like they came straight from a stoner's closet. It was a shock.

Tony walked beside him now. 

"You're drifting left," he told Thor. "One side there, Lebowski." 

"Uh Tony, you need a hand?" I asked quickly before I could stare any longer. 

"Morgan, what a nice surprise!" Thor said, grabbing me in a bear hug. "You look wonderful!" 

"Nice to see you too," I said, hugging him back. "You look uh different." 

"Ah, so you've noticed the longer beard..." 

"I did, it suits you," I said, patting his shoulder. 

He nodded, then he gulped down the rest of the beer in his hand before wandering off to a seat off to the side. 

I walked over towards Tony, while Steve made company with Thor for a few moments.