Chapter Twenty-Five: Moments

We snapped through time, the unfamiliar feeling rushed over me as we zipped through the continuum. 

Suddenly we landed exactly where Tony programmed, right in the midst of an old American Army base. As soon as we landed, Steve rushed the three of us into a locker room. He clearly knew the place well. 

"We need to change," he instructed. "We can't stick out." 

He started rummaging through the different lockers, pulling out an army uniform for himself and a pair of sunglasses. And a suit and tie for Tony. Then, finally, in one of the last lockers he tried, a skirt and blazer outfit for me. 

"I'm more of a jeans kind of girl," I responded. 

"Well you'll stick out like a sore thumb here if you're out there wearing jeans," Steve said, handing me the skirt and blazer.

"Like this won't stick out?" I frantically waved my metal arm.

"Shit," Tony responded. "I've gotten to used to seeing it. I didn't even think about it."

"Me either," Steve said, rummaging around some more. 

Finally, he found an old black turtle neck that would fit under my blazer, and a pair of driving gloves. 

"I should really get a cover on vogue," I sarcastically replied as I got dressed in the corner quickly. 

"No peaking," I said over my shoulder.

"No promises," Steve muttered.

"I will puke," Tony said.

This gained a laugh from Steve and I. But, then the three of us were all ready. Before we walked off, Tony handed me a small set of kitten heels. 

"To complete your look ma'am," Tony said.

I let out a groan as I bent down and put the small heels on. 

"Such a lady," he sarcastically replied. 

"Whatever," I muttered as I stood back up, straightening my blazer. "Let's just get these vials and get the hell out of here." 

On the way out, I saw a pair of sunglasses sitting on the bench, I swiped them and set them on my face. I instantly felt comfort of being able to hide behind the dark shades. 

We walked out of the locker room, into the hustle and bustle of the base. 

"Clearly, you weren't actually born here, right?" Tony asked Steve as we briskly walked towards out destination. I tried keeping up, the small heels already giving me blisters. 

"The idea of me was," Steve answered simply. 

"Right. Well, imagine you're SHIELD, running a quasi-fascistic intelligence organization. Where do you hide it?" Tony asked us, trying to brainstorm where the answer to our problem would be hiding. 

"In plain sight," Steve answered as we came up on a building with a huge door. 

"To the elevator?" I asked them both.

"To the elevator," Steve answered. 

"Do we split up?" I asked. 

"You and I will go together," Steve said, and he made eye contact with Tony. As if the two of them made some sort of agreement. I narrowed my eyes, and opened my mouth to say something. But, before I could ask what was going on, Tony spoke up.

"Yep, and I will go the other way. The three of us will get this figured out." 

Before I could bring anything back up, the elevator dinged and it opened for us. The three of us stepped into the elevator, and there was a woman already in there when we got on. She stood to the side as we all joined her. She stared at us, but went back to her folder.