Chapter Twenty-Four: Haunted

We walked back to the original meeting point. Tony and Scott were seated in a blown-up car, both looking upset. 

"That doesn't look promising," I muttered as Steve and I approached, his arm slid from my shoulders. I don't think being overly couple-y was going to help anything. 

"Sorry buddy, we've got a problem," Tony said to Steve. 

Scott scoffed at his words. 

"Yeah, we do." 

They informed us of what happened on their end of the mission. They detailed how the cube went missing, along with 2012 Loki.

"Dammit! I knew I should have gone down there with the two of them," I said, turning to Steve.

"Oh what? You couldn't trust the two of us?" Tony asked in disbelief. 

"Well it's not like sneaking around and doing things on the down-low is your style," I replied. 

"Oh, I forgot, lying and sneaking that's your gig right?" 

"Oh give it a rest Stark," I snapped. I could feel my chest tightening. "You've had it out for me since the day I walked on this team. You didn't trust me from the very first moment we met. Well, whatever you read on my file isn't who I am. It never was."

"So it wasn't you who worked for Hydra? It wasn't you who was brainwashed back in Washington and almost took out your own boyfriend? It wasn't you who killed my parents?"

There it was. 

"I didn't ask for those things to happen to me! You don't think I wish I could take all of those things back? You don't think that I wished it was me who was taken down instead of all the other super-soldiers who were taken out? You don't know how many times I wish that serum hadn't worked! How many times I wished that the serum had killed me just like all the other patients! Do you think I don't know how little I deserve what I have now? How little I deserve this team? How little I even deserve my own husband!" 

The words had all tumbled out before I could stop them, the raw feelings I have had pent up for years now. 

"I didn't know you felt that way," Steve said softly, grabbing my hand in his. I could tell he looked hurt. I knew he knew that sometimes I felt unworthy, but I had never admitted out loud that I wished I hadn't made it through the experiments. 

"Of course I feel that way," I said, as I felt a tear roll down my cheek. "I've done some bad things in the past, and the people who are supposed to trust me the most, my own teammates, think I'm worthless!" 

"I don't think your worthless Smithy," Tony said, trying to make me feel better. "You can't expect me to think everything is fine though." 

"I don't expect that, I expect you to trust that I wouldn't want to let this team down," I replied. 

"Okay, I believe that," he said. "Besides we wouldn't be the team we are without the two of you making all of us throw up from your beautiful relationship." 

He finished the last part sarcastically, and I let a small smirk play on my face. I nodded, and he nodded back. It felt like there was a small understanding between us again. I could feel Steve squeeze my hand again. I squeezed it back. At least I'd always have him. 

"Well, what are we going to do now?" Steve asked Scott and Tony. 

"Give me a break Steve, I just got hit in the head with the Hulk. And your wifey there just word vomited all over the place," Tony said sarcastically.

I stuck my tongue out at him. 

"You started it," I muttered. 

"You said that we had one shot. This– this was our shot. We shot it. It's shot. Six stones or nothing. Six stones or nothing–" Scott exclaimed. He was clearly frustrated, something we hadn't really seen from him before. He was normally so happy-go-lucky.