Chapter Twenty-Eight: Forgive?

My eyes shot open. I felt panicked as I looked around for Thanos. It had felt so real. Like he was there in front of me. I opened my good hand, just to make sure the stone wasn't there. I felt a mixture of relief and disappointment when I saw it was empty. 

I let out a sigh, it had just been a dream. Thanos wasn't here. He didn't hand over the stone. I wasn't some powerful being. I was just Morgan. 

Once that hit me, it was like everything else came crashing back. 

Was Steve going to leave me? Was I going to leave him? What did it all mean? 

Were we ever going to see Natasha again? Was she going to come back with the snap?

I shot up in the bed, my head was pounding from the crying I had done. There was an ache in my neck from the syringe. I was going to kill Tony. But, right now that didn't matter. That was the least of my worries right now. I then saw I startled Steve awake, who had been sitting in the chair in the corner of the room. He was rising from the chair, staring at me. He looked like he wanted to say something, but wasn't sure what. 

He looked like he was staring at a feral animal. One wrong move and I'd dart to somewhere safe. Somewhere that wasn't him. Not now. 

"Morgan-" he started, moving towards the doorway like he was trying to block it. Once again he looked like he was scared I was going to bolt.

I wouldn't lie, I had thought about it. Just leave the whole damn thing behind. Maybe become a farmer.  It worked for Thanos. At least for a while anyway. That seemed like it could be a good option. I did always love animals. 

We stared at one another for a long moment. Neither of us saying anything. I didn't know where to begin.

"Where should we start?" I asked finally, not sure where else to start. I wasn't going to run from this. I couldn't. I had to process all these emotions or I would lash out even harder later.

"Where would you like to?" he asked me.

"Let's start with what happened in 1970," I said, knowing I could handle this first. Natasha's death wasn't something I was ready to face. This thing with Peggy, well it would go one way or the other. And if it ended well, we could grieve for Nat together. And if it ended badly, well I could grieve with Hulk? Well, I wouldn't have anyone to grieve with, but I needed to know one way or the other.

"I was shocked," he started.

"Shocked?" I asked, still not sure why I was reacting this way. I would need something better than that. 

"I just never thought I'd see her again," Steve said.

"And?" I asked, I was starting to lose my patience.

"And..." he trailed off, as if he wasn't sure what he would say.

"And what Steve?" 

"And it was like seeing a ghost. That's it. It didn't mean anything."

"Are you sure? You're sure that it didn't bring back all those old feelings? Feelings you never had for me?" I asked, feeling as if I already knew the answer. "I saw the way you couldn't tear your eyes away. It felt like an eternity in there. I thought I would explode right then and there. All the insecurities I have ever felt were front and center. I thought I had tucked them away for good. But, the way you were frozen, I couldn't stand there and see what would happen next.

"Morgan-" Steve started reaching out his hand, but suddenly there was a bunch of commotion. And I could hear someone shuffling outside. Tony lightly knocked on the door.