Epilogue

Two years later

I opened my eyes, looking over at the other side of the bed and seeing Steve still sleeping. I put my feet on his legs, warming them up on his hot skin.

"Cold!" He said sleepily.

"Please, you're so warm!"

"If you don't move those icicles you call feet, there will be consequences."

"OOO I'm sooooo scared of the super soldier," I taunted.

"That's it!"

He turned over quickly, pinning me below him, tickling my side and nuzzling his face in my neck. I let out a squeal, remembering my other arm was still on my side table.

"Come on!" I panted. "Not fair, I only have one arm."

"And only a dozen other things at your disposal," he said laughing.

We broke apart, sitting up and staring at one another for a minute before breaking out in laughter.

Then, our dog came running into the room, hopping on the bed. Steve went back the next day after our arrival and grabbed him from the boarding facility we put him in while we had to take care of Avenger business.

"Let's go take care of the animals Buddy," I told him, scratching his favorite spot. "Want to join me?"

Steve said he would, both of us putting on jeans and a flannel.

I quickly went downstairs and started a fresh pot of coffee, knowing it would be ready for us after morning chores.

"Steve!" I yelled, trying to get him to hurry.

"Coming!" he shouted back, running down the stairs, his boots in hand. I grabbed my own by the back door, slipping them on.

I opened the door and Buddy ran out ahead, barking at the chickens.

"Yeah you told them!" I laughed. As I went to the barn and Steve and I collected the food for all the animals.

First we fed the chickens, I collected the eggs in the small wicker basket and told my girls how proud of them I was.

Steve laughed as I said this every morning whether they provide me with one or twenty eggs.

Then, we fed the cows. Leaving the horses for last. My favorite part.

My girls.

I pet each of them as I dumped their grain in their buckets. Each displaying their name, "Misty" and "Magic".

Both were a beautiful deep brown bay horse.

They each dug into their food, not wasting time.

Steve and I slowly made our way back to the house.

"I want to fix the fence on the far side of the pasture today," he told me, pointing where he was planning on working.

"I was planning to weed the garden, my tomatoes are starting to come in nicely."

We both smiled as we headed inside for our cup of coffee to get the day really rolling.

As I zipped on my coffee, staring at my husband in front of me, he was leisurely reading a newspaper, I knew I was finally, truly, at peace.

And I was the one thing I never was quite sure I'd be.

I was happy.