Chapter Four: Heads Up

Steve and I took off at a sprint, and before he could reach the ship I teleported to the platform waiting for our arrival. 

"Slow poke," I teased, even if now wasn't the best time. 

"You cheated," he said, a small smile tugging at his lips. 

Before we entered the ship the two of us sobered up and become serious. This was a serious mission and could be the difference in everything. There was going to be hell to pay. 

I sat myself behind Natasha and strapped in quickly, so they wouldn't have to wait any longer for us. 

"Did you two have a nice chat?" Nat said from the seat in front of me. 

"Oh it was lovely," I replied sarcastically, already feeling bad enough. 

Soon the jet fired up, with Rocket piloting, and we were heading towards space. I felt my heart beat race as the jet shook as we left Earth's atmosphere and entered what looked like an entirely different world. 

"Okay, who here hasn't been to space?" Rocket's gruff voice sounded from the front. 

Steve, Natasha, Rhodey, and I's hands all lifted into the air. I could almost feel Rocket's disapproval. 

"You better not throw up on my ship," he warned. 

"Protein jump in," Nebula began suddenly. "3, 2,1!" 

As soon as she said one the jet took off in unimaginable speed. I felt lightheaded as my head was suddenly pushed back against my seat. 

Just as quickly as we started we were in front of the planet Thanos was supposed to be on. Carol flew up next to the ship and pointed. 

"I'll head down for recon." 

The rest of us unbuckled ourselves and prepared for what may be the most important fight we have left. This was our last chance to save the people we lost. To avenge the snapped. 

Steve and I sat together, the heaviness of the situation sucking everything out of us. Natasha came up to us then, she looked as serious as ever. 

"This is going to work," she said, trying to convince us. Her eyes found mine, I knew she was trying to convince me. I had played a good a game with Steve, making sure I never lost my confidence around him. Not after the snap. But, around Natasha, I told her all my fears and anxieties surround the snap. 

"I know it will," Steve began. "I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't." 

I nodded along, not revealing my own thoughts. I didn't know if this was going to work. I didn't know if this time Thanos would kill all of us. Or we could finally reverse what happened. I just didn't know. But, Steve couldn't know that. I wanted him to think I had it all figured out, that there was one person in all of this he didn't have to worry about. I wasn't going to add anymore negativity to the already grey situation we were all in. 

Carol came flying back towards the ship with information. 

"No satellites, no ships, no armies, no ground defenses of any kind..." she began. "It's just him." 

"And that's enough," Nebula said. 

We all looked around in silence for a moment. This was it.

"Just get the ship close enough and I'll teleport us all onto the ground, it'll be the quietest way for us to make it," I said. "You can land the ship once we have him contained." 

Rocket nodded and made his way closer to the planet. Once we were close I grabbed Steve and Natasha's hand. 

"Whoever is coming grab on," I said.