Chapter Twenty-Two: It's Like a Mirror

As Scott was flung towards the tesseract, and Tony slipped out of the window, I quickly left my hiding spot and slipped into the elevator with the Hydra team. I saw Rumlow give me a strange look, but I shrugged it off, not even making eye contact. The more aloof I was, the better. 

The door shut in front of us before any of the 2012 Avenger's team noticed that I slipped either in or out. 

The elevator felt uncomfortable as everyone seemed to be holding their breathe. It took everything in me not to mutter some sort of snide remark, but I couldn't give away the position. 

"All right, Cap. I got our scepter and Morgan in the elevator just passing the 80th floor," Tony informed Steve, who should only be a floor or two away. 

"On it. Head to the lobby," Steve confirmed. 

I didn't respond to either, making sure not to comment. 

"Evidence secure. We're en route to Dr. List. No. No hitches at all, Mr. Secretary," Sitwell said into his own ear piece. 

I saw Rumlow shift even more uncomfortably, and I saw him nudge Sitwell and nod in my direction subtly. 

I peaked inside Sitwell's mind, seeing his thoughts.

"Who gives a shit, she'll be putty in our hands in no time." 

Instead, he shrugged at Rumlow, almost signaling they would talk about it later. I pretended not to notice, checking my fingernail for dirt that didn't exist.

"What a day, am I right boys?" I finally asked, knowing if I said absolutely nothing, they would all think something was up.

"Like you wouldn't believe," Rumlow said cockily, like an opponent who think he has already won.

I felt my hand clench by it's side, as my heart beat increased. Memories came flooding back from DC. But, before I went down that rabbit hole the elevator door opened, the doors opened to let Steve in. 

Everyone shifted around the elevator. The tension returned instantly, I watched as Rumlow's grip on the case tightened. 

It took all my willpower not to grab Steve's hand for comfort, but at this point in time we were just discovering our feelings for one another. We had only just shared our first kiss. But I made eye contact with him, knowing we might only have these few moments left. His eyes met mine, and that was all I needed. 

"Captain. I thought you were coordinating search and rescue?" Sitwell questioned, trying to conceal his surprise and utter discomfort to the new addition.

"Change of plans," Steve replied easily. 

"Hey cap," Rumlow said, trying to play it off. 

"Rumlow," Steve said stiffly, probably trying to push his own memories away to focus on the task at hand. "I just got a call from the Secretary. I'm gonna be running point on the scepter."

"Sir? I don't understand," Sitwell said. 

"We got word there may be an attempt to steal it," Steve answered.

"Did they say who?" I asked, trying to play along.

"No word yet," Steve answerered me. "But, the quicker we get it secured the better." 

"We?" Rumlow asked, looking between the two of us. 

"We, as in Avenger and SHIELD business," I answered Rumlow, my tone sharp. 

I watched as his eyes narrowed at me, his hand tightening ever so slightly more.

"Sorry, Cap. I can't give you the scepter," Rumlow responded to Steve, although his eyes never left mine. 

"I'm gonna have to call the Director," Sitwell said.

"That's okay. Trust me," Steve said, before leaning slightly towards Sitwell, whispering in his ear. "Hail Hydra." 

I watched as realization hit his face, and I noticed Rumlow heard as well. I gave him a wink, before reaching out and grabbing the case from him. 

The elevator doors then opened.

"I think this is our stop," I said, before walking off. 

 I had the case and both Steve and I walked off confidently as the elevator doors closed behind us. 

We quickly rounded the corner and made our way to the stairwell, making sure we were out of ear shot before stopping. Both of us let out giggles as we closed the door leading to the stairs behind us.

"Oh my gosh, their faces," I said between fits of giggles. "I cannot believe they bought it."

"Rumlow looked almost devasted," Steve said between his own laughs. 

We continued to climb down the stairs hand in hand, we would just have to cut through one of the floors to cross over to the other side of the building and we'd be able to get to the lobby from there. 

We finally made it to the floor we needed and we opened the door, slyly looking out to make sure no one was there before venturing out. 

Suddenly there was static in our pieces.

"Shit," I said, looking frantically up at Steve.

"Tony, what's going on?" Steve said, trying to get an answer. 

There was nothing but silence on the other end. 

"Can you reach their minds?" Steve asked me. 

I searched, but there were too many people in the building, and they were too far away for me to focus properly.

"I can feel them in the building, but I can't get a clear thought from any of them," I told him. 

Then, out of nowhere, 2012 Steve was standing before us. 

"I have eyes on Loki. 14th floor," That steve said into his ear piece. 

"Oh great," I said.

"Morgan, get away from that imposter. Loki is messing with your mind," Past Steve said to me. 

I looked at my Steve quickly, do I play along or what? 

"That's not me," 2012 Morgan said, walking up behind Steve. 

"Shit."