Chapter Seven: Always Find Your Way Back Home

After Rhodey left, I turned and looked at Nat, who looked like she'd fall apart at any moment. The ends of hair were still blonde, the roots red as ever. She looked like a mess, I'd never seen her like this. It scared the shit out of me. 

"It's going to be okay," I said, although the words didn't sound convincing. 

"No it isn't. This world has gone to shit and there's nothing we can do about it," she said, her voice shaking as she did. 

"No, you're doing everything you can to turn this world around. You're doing an amazing job at it Nat, I wish I'd been here sooner. But, I'm here now and I'll help anyway I can," I told her. I felt even worse knowing I'd been selfish the whole time. The world still needed us, even if it felt like we weren't doing anything. "We need to get him Nat. We need to bring him home." 

She nodded her head, thinking as my words spilled out. I could tell she wasn't sure about this, about seeing him. Not after the stories we heard.

"We've been there," I gently reminded her. 

"Okay, okay. You're right," she said, pulling herself together. "We have to go get him. This has gone on too long. You may have to go inside his mind, put an end to it." 

"I'll do whatever I need to," I said, trying to comfort her.

"Thanks for coming back. I know it was hard to do," she finally said. 

"It was hard to stay away, but I felt lost. I didn't know what I needed to do, but now I know I need to be here." 

"We both do," I heard a voice from behind me. I turned to see Steve in the doorway. 

"I'd offer to cook you both dinner, but you seem pretty miserable already," he said, before I could respond. 

This earned a chuckle from Nat, but I remained quiet as Steve walked into the room. 

"Are you here to do your laundry?" she asked him. 

"I'm here to see a friend.." 

"Clearly your friend is fine," Natasha answered back. I knew the vulnerability was hard for her to show, especially now. She felt like there needed to be someone still standing strong. 

"I'm going to go pack," I said, before leaving the room. They needed to catch up, the two of them hadn't talked in a while. 

I could hear Steve telling her about a pod of whales as I made my way down the hallway. I needed to not only get my gear together, but my thoughts too. I already felt a wave of adrenaline just being back in this building. The thrill of belonging somewhere again ignited me in a way I didn't realize I missed. 

I made my way slowly down the hallway, letting my hand drag softly across the wall as I went. There were so many memories in this place, with this team. I remembered when we all came her after defeating Ultron, the relief of the win, but the pain of what we lost. There was only mixed emotions when thinking of our missions. 

I finally arrived to my old room, everything remained the exact same as Steve and I had left. I slipped my finger across the small dresser, rubbing the dust that settled on top off. 

There was an old picture on the nightstand that instantly caught my attention. Steve and I were in our uniforms, a candid shot that one of the members most have caught at one point or another. We were laughing in the shot, we were in an embrace, lost in each other's eyes. I let out a sigh as I picked the picture up, examining it closer. I couldn't help the small smile that came across my face. 

"Simpler times," I heard a voice behind me. 

I almost dropped the picture as I turned around, startled out of my thoughts. 

"You scared me," I said, letting out a small laugh. "You're lucky I didn't send an energy blast at you." 

"That's a great picture," he said. 

"It is. I can't believe how long ago this was," I said. We were in the outfits we wore on Sokovia. My heart pounded thinking of when we thought we were all goners. 

"Do you think we'll ever look like this again?" 

"I do," he told me, his voice soft. 

"I hope so," I said, thinking of what the world was like now. "I feel so selfish each time I feel even remotely happy. Each time I smile, each time you tell me you love, each time we embrace, I feel like the most rotten person in the world. I think of how happy you make me, and how lucky I am. But, how can I be allowed to be happy when the world looks like this?" 

"We're allowed something Mo. They wouldn't want us to be miserable every second of every day. We haven't given up and forgotten about them, that's why you're allowed to still have some sort of happiness." 

"I hope we find a way."

"To move on or to be happy?" 

"Both? Neither?" I tried. "I don't know. Why did the world have to get so fucked up?" 

"I don't know, but we have one another to figure it out." 

He put an arm around me, pulling me in. I inhaled as I tried steadying myself, I knew I shouldn't mope, I shouldn't sit around asking why me? I should take every good moment I have and let it be. 

If this was how the world was going to be, we owed it to everyone to try and make it the best it could be. Otherwise, Thanos won. He truly won. I would be damned if I let that happen. 

~A/N Hey everyone! Have I ever mentioned that your patience rocks? I have been so crazy busy lately and unfortunately this was pushed to the back burner. I had my college classes start back up and I'm in the middle of wedding planning with only 2 months left to go! So, life has been insane! But, I wanted to update and let you know I haven't forgotten about this book! I really want to write more and hopefully get on a better schedule! Any suggestions? 

QOTC: What did you think? 

Hope you all have an awesome weekend and can't wait to see your responses!~