Chapter Eleven: Big Brains Equals A Big...

"Morgan, it's time to go," Steve said, shaking me awake. I woke up, gasping. The dream being interrupted wasn't a sweet one. 

"Are you okay?" Steve suddenly asked as I was still trying to catch my breath. 

"It was a bad dream," I simply answered. 

"Do you wanna share?" 

I looked at him for a moment, not sure if I wanted to share what I had seen, but what was the point of hiding it? 

I  was wearing a beautiful blue flowy dress, the only thing interrupting the flowy design was the bump sticking out. I was cradling my bump, smiling from ear to ear. It was heavenly, I felt safe and warm as I looked up, seeing my husband cradling me, his own smile present. 

Then, overhead, there were aliens pouring in, the world around us turning dark and stormy. Nothing but dust and blood filling the space. I was choking for breath as I came face to face with Thanos. Steve lying helplessly on the ground, his old shield beside him, broken completely in half. 

"No..." I whispered. I looked down now, the bump was gone and I was in my Avenger's issued suit. 

"It's a shame... the boy was just as strong as his father," Thanos said. 

I erupted in a scream. 

"You'll thank me one day."

Then his hand was wrapped around my throat... I was gasping for air. 

That's when I was awakened. I removed my hand from Steve's face, both of us locking eyes. I could feel a small tear slip down my cheek. It had felt no less scary when replaying it for Steve. 

"It's okay," he said, wrapping me into a hug. His arms cradled me as he rocked me. "It wasn't real." 

"For a moment, just a moment, it felt like it was. In the beginning, I felt like I was really pregnant, it was amazing," I said in a small, tired, voice. "It was surreal." 

Steve didn't respond, only kept rocking me. 

Suddenly, once the tears had dried, and we were left holding each other in complete silence, there was a knock at the door. Steve opened and revealed Natasha asking if we were ready. Steve told her we'd be right there, shutting the door quietly as she left. 

"We've got to go," he said, but his face said something different as if he wasn't ready to leave. 

"I know," I told him. 

We both got dressed quickly, he wore jeans and a blue shirt. I threw on a pair of jeans, white tee, brown leather jacket and knee-high boots that laced in the front. Steve helped me put my metal arm in place. I brushed my hair, leaving it straight as we both were finishing getting ready. 

When we were both ready, Steve went to reach for the door, but I forced it to shut. He turned and looked at me, confusion written all over his face. 

"I'm sorry, you'll never know how sorry I am," I told him, barely over a whisper. 

"I know, Mo-mo," he told me, coming over and placing a kiss on my lips. "It would have never changed my choices, either way." 

I nodded, feeling my heart swell with love. I gave his hand a squeeze as we walked out hand in hand. 

The car ride was silent as we rode over to the diner, no one wanted to waste time with hopeful thoughts if Banner were to reject us the same way Stark had. I could tell that Scott was bursting a the seems to break the ice, his thoughts practically bouncing around nonstop in his head. It took everything in me not to peak. 

Before I could be tempted further, we pulled up to a small diner in New York. It was a small place, the kind that looked like it belonged anywhere else but where it was. We walked in, expecting to see Bruce, the small mild-mannered man we all knew. But, I don't think I was the only one who faltered when we walked in and saw the other guy sitting politely at one of the back booths. He looked up, seeing all of us faltering in the doorway. He gave a warm smile, waving us over. 

"What the hell?" I whispered to Steve, as he lead me towards the table by the small of my back.

"Just go with it," he whispered back, but I could detect a smile in his voice. 

"Hey, guys!" Bruce, or the Hulk or whoever he was, said as we all sat down with him. 

As we all sat around the booth, none of us sure what to say, or who should speak first, we all sort of kept looking back and forth between each other, trying not to stare too long. It took everything inside of me not to look into his brain, to see whose hand was truly on the wheel within this Hulk and Bruce hybrid, but I resisted. I didn't want to risk the meeting by giving into my own curiosity. 

"Here try some of this! Have some eggs," he said, persuading us to eat.

"I'm so confused," Scott finally said what we were all thinking. 

"Yeah, what exactly happened Banner?" I asked him, bursting to ask every single question that came to mind.

"These are confusing times," he responded simply while making his plate.

"No, that's not what we meant," I said, clarifying. "How are you- how are the both of you...?" 

My question sort of trailed off. I wasn't sure what the right way to ask was. Or, if he didn't care to explain. 

"I'm kidding!" Banner said, laughing at his own joke. "I know, it's crazy." 

"Beyond," I muttered to myself. Steve gave me a slight elbow. I knew he thought that was probably rude, but it was beyond crazy seeing him like this. 

"So, how? What? Why?" Scott asked, pressing for more information. I was glad to see I wasn't the only one who couldn't contain my questions. 

"Five years ago we got out asses beat," Hulk started. I winced at the horrible memory, of the feeling in my stomach when I first noticed half of everyone was gone. "Except it was worse for me, I got beat twice. First, Hulk lost, then Banner lost, and then we all lost." 

"No one blamed you, Bruce," Natasha told him quickly.

"I did." 

"For years I had been treating the Hulk like he was some sort of disease, something that I needed to get rid of, something I needed to cure," he continued. "But, then I started looking at him like he was the cure. Eighteen months in the gamma lab. I put the brains and the brawn together... and now look at me. Best of both worlds." 

Then, before any of us could comment further, a few pre-teens came up to the table, all three wearing huge but shy smiles. They had their smartphones out, wanting to take a picture with Bruce. 

They all said "green" as Scott snapped a photo of them. The kids quickly scurried off once they got their photo and it was back to business. 

"Bruce, about what we were saying," Steve said, bringing everyone back down to Earth. 

"Right. The whole time travel do-over?" 

"Don't sound so excited," I said to him, hearing the complete pessimism in his voice. 

"I want to be excited, but it's not as easy as the movies make it seem. Besides, it's outside of my area of expertise." 

 "Well, you pulled this off," Natasha told him. "I remember a time when that seemed impossible too." 

This caused Bruce to let a tiny smile flicker on his face. We may have a chance now. 

~A/N Hey everyone! Hope you enjoyed the new chapter :)~