Chapter Nine: Tony...?

Steve and I were getting the car ready for the trip to see Tony.

"You know he isn't going to help," I told Steve, already knowing.

"You don't know that," he said, getting in the driver's side as I got into the passenger seat. We were waiting on Natasha and Scott to get in.

"I don't think he's going to risk what he has now. Would you? If that were us?"

Before he could answer, Nat and Scott got into the backseat.

"Are we ready?" Nat asked.

"As ready as we'll ever be," I replied, knowing any interaction with Stark was always a weird one for me.

The ride was a quiet one, the silence only filled by the occasional comment from Scott. I could tell he wasn't comfortable with the long bouts of silence, and normally I wasn't either. But, with the impending meeting with Tony, there was a lot on my mind. I hadn't seen him since he chewed Steve and me out in front of everyone. Steve had seen him once or twice, but my guilt made me steer clear of any interactions that weren't necessary.

As we pulled down a long winding driveway, the GPS telling us where to go every step of the way, I felt like we weren't in the right place.

"Are you sure you typed the address in right?" I questioned Steve, leaning against the window, noticing the remote and wooded area.

"I think so," Steve said, double-checking the coordinates as we parked.

But, before we could make sure, I saw Tony walking towards the porch of the wooden cabin on the property. We all stepped out of the car, and instantly Tony's face didn't look pleased to see us.

I nodded at Tony, he nodded back. He turned around, walking away with what appeared to be his daughter.

"Let's go," Natasha urged, as we approached the porch.

Tony came out, pouring all of us a glass of tea.

We had Scott explain everything we had come up with, wanting to convince him of what we could possibly do. How we could possibly change what Thanos did to us.

"No, we know what it sounds like," Scott said, clearly nervous.

"Tony, after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?" Steve asked.

"Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck scale, which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition. Can we agree on that?" Tony asked.

I let out a small, "Yep. Definitely."

Tony handed us each a glass, each of us saying our thanks as he continued to explain how our theory would never work, there was a lot of scientific jargon that I didn't understand. But, I knew this would be his response. I knew it wouldn't be easy to convince him to come back, to help fix this. Not when he had just built this life for himself. Especially because, as much as I hated to admit it, this sounded crazy. There was no solid proof. 

"In layman's terms, it means you're not coming home."

"I did," Scott offered.

"No. You accidentally survived."

Tony wasn't wrong. What if all of this, what happened to Scott, was just one big fluke? What if we were trying to put all our eggs in one hopeless basket? If we got all of our hopes up again, just like when we found Thanos' farm, what would the fallout be like this time? We barely made it through one letdown, could we all survive another? Or were we destined to be let down forevermore?

"But, Tony, don't we have to try?" Steve asked. His eyes pleading for help, but his words would never beg.

"No, it's a billion to one cosmic fluke. And now you wanna pull a- what do you call it?" he asked, handing Scott his dream.