Year 4: Another Wee Mishap

Fred had bought a jar of Stink Pellets and three Dungbombs after informing me that he already had four back in his dorm. This seemed to make the man behind the counter relax a little, and he didn't seem to be alerting anyone to the two possible shoplifters in his store. Afterwards, my stomach had growled and even though I pretended not to know what he was talking about when he asked about it, he had corralled me into the Three Broomsticks and even offered to pay for our lunch, as long as I paid him back, that is.

I had the money back in my dorm, so it wasn't that big of a deal, and it did make this a bit less like the last time I'd sat at one of these tables, which was with Adrian and Cedric.

"Hey, June," he said through a sip of Butterbeer, "Have you ever had a boyfriend before?"

The question caught me six different kinds of off guard, and for a second I wasn't sure that what I'd heard was right, but the longer he just looked over at me I guessed that I had heard him right.

"No," I said finally.

"Me neither," He said and then shook his head, "I meant that I'd never had a girlfriend, but I've never had a boyfriend either."

"Fred, are you alright?" I asked again.

"Sort of," He sighed, "Can I tell you something?"

"Of course," I said, surprised that he was suddenly ready to be open about what was bothering him. Maybe it's why he wanted to get me away from the castle so bad, so he could tell me something without anyone else overhearing.

"And you won't tell anyone? You swear on your life," He asked, getting a bit too serious.

"I swear on my life I won't tell anyone," I said, doing my best to place my left hand over my heart.

"Alright," He took a deep breath, "You know that I like Angie, right?"

"Yeah, everyone does. Well, except her, I guess."

"Well, we were talking the other night and she'd asked if I'd ever kissed anyone before, and when I told her that I hadn't she... she laughed at me. Like really laughed at me." He said, hiding his face in his hands.

"Fred, I'm sorry," I said, scooting closer to him so that I could rest a hand on his back, "If it makes you feel better, I haven't kissed anyone either."

I doubted it was something that he wanted to hear right now, but it's the only thing that I could think to say. I'm sure that Angelina didn't mean to laugh at him, at least not to his face. I couldn't really think of why she'd be laughing at him in the first place, he was only fourteen. I didn't think that was too old to be having his first kiss.

"I appreciate it June, but you don't have to lie to me," He shook his head, not looking at me.

"No, Fred, I'm being serious," I said, trying to pry his hands away from his face with only one of mine and failing miserably, "Why would I lie about something as stupid as that?"

"You know we're like some of the only people who haven't kissed anyone right?" He asked, looking less then enthused as he took his hands away from his face.

"I highly doubt that Fred, and it's nothing to be embarrassed about," I shook my head, not really knowing what to do in this situation. I hadn't even thought about whether or not other people had been kissing one another.

"Maybe it isn't embarrassing to you," He huffed, "But I'm Fred Weasley, and I flirt with girls all the time, and yet, I haven't kissed a single one of them."

"Have you ever asked to kiss them?"

"No, but-"

"That's your problem, Fred. You flirt with every girl you come across, and none of them know if you're being serious because you don't ever take anything further," I said, hoping that I made sense to him because I wasn't making all that much sense to myself.