Year 4: Family Ties

Cedric and I had gotten situated in our rooms, which were much larger and nicer than the ones that we normally stayed in. So, it didn't come as too big of a surprise when we were asked to dress to the nine's when dinner had started. I'd brought some of my much nicer clothes, Rosemary told me that first impressions are everything no matter who you're meeting. Technically she'd said, "dress the way you would if you were meeting the minister, even if you're meeting up with an old friend." And I think those are very wise words.

So, I pulled on my nicest outfit, and I hoped that it looked okay. I almost wished that Heather were here to help me out. She knew everything there was to know about fashion and makeup, and that was something about her I truly admired. She always looked put together whether she woke up a little late for class in the morning or was rolling out of bed at midnight for astronomy.

I tied my hair back with a white ribbon, hoping that getting it out of the way was acceptable. I didn't happen to have any Sleek-eazy with me and there was very little that I knew how to do with my hair. It didn't help that nobody in my family, besides Rosemary, had curly hair, and hers was still tragically different than mine.

I stepped out of the room and was met with Cedric who looked neater now than I'd ever seen them. His hair was gelled, his shirt was tucked in underneath his jumper, and his trousers weren't wrinkled in the slightest. He looked very nice.

"You're looking quite charming this evening," I said, "You aren't trying to be a replacement for Anastasia, are you?"

"You caught me," He smiled, throwing his hands up in false surrender, "I'm trying to get in on the will because maybe he'll leave me this house."

"I just met the man and you're already trying to kill him off? I thought you cared about me," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Trust me, Sunny, I do, but I also care about myself." He winked, "Plus, you can always stay with me if you want. If you're not going to realize your feelings for George, then I assume you won't recognize them for anyone else."

"Are you trying to say that I'm going to be alone for me entire life?" I asked, starting to actually get offended.

"Darling, you're love blind, and if you don't learn to see, then that will, unfortunately be your future. Just you, me, my wife and kids in this huge house." He said, motioning to the house around us, "It will be quite sad if I'm being honest."

"I'm not going to die alone with you and your wife. Plus, if anyone gets the house, it will be either me or Grant." I said, shoving him and letting him know that I did not like the way he was talking about my future right now.

I didn't know what the far-off future held for me, and honestly, I thought that is was better that way. A lot of the time, I see what's going to happen, but I never know if I can change it, or even stop it from happening. What use was having the ability to see into the future if I didn't know what to do about it?

However, that didn't mean I didn't have dreams for my future. I wanted to make something of myself, become one of those instant success stories. I'd make the front page of The Daily Prophet and have interviews in Witch Weekly. I'd have enough money that I could help out Amaryllis and I wouldn't have to worry about how much they were getting to eat or whether they'd be able to afford Gardenia's school books.

Then of course, was the idea of having my own children. I didn't really know how I felt on the subject for the time being, I wasn't even fifteen yet, but I knew that if I had them, I would want to make sure that they never knew hunger or want. I wanted better for them than I have had thus far, but who didn't?

So, to sit here and listen to Cedric say something like this, whether he was joking or not, hurt my feelings. I wasn't going to cry over it and be dramatic or anything, but it did make me feel like he didn't think that I'd ever make anything of myself, and I wanted to prove him wrong.