Year 4: Alone Together

George had been acting a little strange today, or maybe it was just the fact that I was a little out of sorts with the whole sneaking out thing I had going on. I'd managed to avoid Leilani and Oleander the entire ride from London to Scotland, but I didn't think that I'd be able to hide from them if I just tried to slip passed them. So, I'd had to run off with Cedric soon after seeing him.

All of that really turned out to be for nothing as I obviously share a house and quidditch team with Oleander. He'd seen me at dinner but waiting until we'd gotten back into the common room to cause a scene. We'd argued for a bit in the dorm room until Heather, Robin, and Colleen came in. (Tamara wouldn't be coming back this year.) Then, he'd shook his head, said something along the lines of 'Dig your own grave if you want, but don't try and drag me into it if something goes wrong.'

It was a little harsh to hear come out of Oleander's mouth, but I was glad to hear it. Up until now, Oleander had often fallen into the habit of doing whatever he could to please every person he came across. He was finally learning how to put his foot down, which is something very important to Hufflepuffs. 

We're loyal and kind and helpful most of the time, but every single one of us will get fed up with it eventually. We get tired of constantly being the ones that people drop all of their problems onto because we're always so happy that we can handle it. I didn't think that I would be the first person that Ollie stood up to, but I didn't mind that I was. 

However, I had no intention of dragging anyone down with me. In fact, my whole purpose for being here was to make sure that nobody else got petrified, if I could help it that is. So, when Heather rushed over to me and threw herself into my arms, I tried not to cave when I heard how upset she'd sounded. 

She told all of us that she'd lied to her parents about what was going on. They had just assumed that all the magical post was for Heather, so they hadn't opened any of the letters sent to them by Hogwarts. They just assumed that everything was fine, and so Heather had read through the letters and then tore them up and tossed them into the bin, claiming that it was just reminding her to study for exams. She didn't want them to worry about her, and she didn't want to miss out on the rest of this year's classes because she was already behind as it was. 

But that wasn't what had her upset. Obviously, she was scared of what could happen to her and she was already regretting coming back because now there was nothing she could do to go back home until June. If they don't close down the school before then, that is. 

The rest of us comforted her as best we could, but it didn't help all that much. She still hadn't stopped crying when she went to take a shower and was still sniffling when she took some muggle medicine and went to bed a lot earlier than normal. 

But now, everyone else was asleep. Everyone at Hogwarts was probably asleep, or at least tucked away in their beds while they stared up at the ceiling, excitement at seeing their friends again and anxiety over what the next few months may hold for them swirling around in their stomachs. Everyone at Hogwarts except me, and hopefully a certain Weasley. I'd feel pretty stupid if I crept all the way down here to find that he wasn't even here. 

I wouldn't blame him though. I was nervous to come down here and it was my idea, but I knew that I'd never get a long enough chance to tell him everything I'd wanted too. I had my scrapbook, along with a few other things, tucked away in my bag that gently tapped against my hip as I slipped through the shadows, praying I wouldn't get caught by Snape, or anyone really. 

I pushed open the hidden door to the secret passageway that I'd learned from the twins and squinted into the darkness. At this point in the evening, none of the lights in the halls were on, whether that was the best choice given the circumstances, I didn't know, but who was I against the headmaster?