Year 6: What Were You Thinking?

Juni's POV:

Tonight was the night. The night when we'd find out which three students would be putting themselves in life-threatening danger for our entertainment. In the name of unity, showing that magical schools can be friendly to one another. The whole thing felt so stupid. However, I had a sneaking suspicion that all of this suddenly being reinstated was just the ministry trying their best to cover up any concerns that cropped up since what happened at the quidditch world cup.

Not to mention, we all know that rule about being seventeen was put in place just to make sure Harry didn't get a chance to put his name in. Every year, Harry managed to get himself involved with something related to the dark arts. That's not a coincidence. Something big is coming, and I wasn't sure if anyone would be strong enough to end it.

Merlin, the first war only ended because of whatever went on when Voldemort tried to kill Harry that first time. He's still just a kid, I'm sure that whoever is in charge when that time comes wouldn't have him take on that burden. He's fourteen for crying out loud.

I couldn't bare to listen to my thoughts anymore, so I did my best to clear my head as I stared up at the ceiling of the dorm room, the sound of chatter for what tonight would bring drifting around in my ears. A part of me was half expecting to hear Heather's voice mixing in with Colleen, Tamara, and Robin's, but I knew that was simply because I knew she was here. Well, a version of her was anyway. Until now, I hadn't had time to really comprehend the person I'd seen that day was her, I knew it was, but there was something so different about her, and it didn't sit right with me.

Although, that was probably just the fact that I knew this change was at least partially my fault.

Those enchanting blue eyes of hers that had once held the shining light of the sky, were now dark and damaged, like the angry, frothing waves of the sea in a storm. Her hair, once decorated in shining plastic butterflies and flower-shaped clips, slicked back into a no-nonsense bun at the nape of her neck. Her face, was littered with scars, and now void of any of her shimmering blue eye shadow and bubblegum pink blush. It was still Heather, but she didn't feel like the same girl I knew before. Durmstrang had changed her, and from the outside, it didn't seem like it was for the better.

Just then, Tamara's words broke through my inner turmoil...

"I still can't believe Cedric put his name in the goblet. I think he's taken too many bludgers to the head."

"Who put their name in the goblet?" I asked, sitting straight up in bed.

"Cedric," Tamara said, placing a pin in her hijab while her dark eyes found my face in the mirror in front of her, "Did he not tell you?"

"Fred and George tried, but that sort of bit them in the arse," Colleen laughed, trying to distract me from the main problem at hand, but I wasn't going to let them, or Cedric, off the hook that easily.

"Of course, I knew about Fred and George, I had to look at my boyfriend while he looked a hundred years old for two days," I rolled my eyes, "But no, Cedric did not care to inform me of that."

"Oh no..." Robin mumbled to herself, staring over at Tamara who wore an equally worried expression.

I slowly got to my feet and made my way over to the door as silence enveloped the room. Cedric and I were supposed to be best friends, and yet, I'm the last one to find out that he put his name in the drawing for one of, if not the most, dangerous tournaments in the wizarding world. You know, the one Dumbledore warned us could possibly end in death...

All Cedric heard out of that pep talk was the eternal glory, and just decided, yeah, I'm going to willingly accept the possibility of being murdered in front of my best friends and their younger siblings. No sweat off his back. What made me even more furious was I knew that stupid smug look that was on his face when he put it in there too. Just when I thought my anxieties were busy enough with Gardenia starting school, and getting into what could be my first and last serious relationship, my idiot best friend had to go and add him risking his life for a whole year to the list.