Year 4: Two Different People

Hufflepuff had lost. 

Miserably... 

Needless to say, it hadn't exactly cheered me up, and I knew that Cedric was going to give me a big fat 'I told you so' about putting Oleander on the reserve team even though the loss didn't have really anything to do with him. Zacharias had dropped the quaffle at least three different times, Colleen missed the bludger once or twice, and Wesley just seemed off his game today. Even if I'd been playing today, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. 

Knowing my luck, and the luck the team was having today, I would have just hurt myself again and it'd be a whole lot worse than a dislocated shoulder. 
George had been almost as disappointed as I had been, and I couldn't be sure why. It wasn't like the Gryffindor team had a personal vendetta against the Ravenclaw team, so I didn't think that it was just because Hufflepuff lost. No, it had seemed to me that something was bothering him the whole time we were at the game. 

It could have just been my big sister senses tingling, but since something was bothering him, it was bothering me. I wanted to ask him about it, but I didn't know if it was something personal or not and he wasn't one to really talk about his feelings. I didn't want to make him uncomfortable.  Especially if it had something to do with say Fred or Heather, or maybe I'd somehow done something to bruise his ego.

However, it seemed like now that I was standing at the top of the Astronomy tower stairs, that talking to George was really one of my only options. 

Across the platform, I could see George sat on the ground, his long legs folded up with his chin rested in his hands. The chilly breeze ruffled his red hair and even though I knew I could leave because he hadn't seen me, I felt like I really shouldn't. 

We were friends, and surprisingly close friends given the short amount of time we'd actually known one another, and if something was bothering him, it was practically my job to help him out. So, I took a deep breath and prepared to have a potentially very awkward conversation with George, which wouldn't be something new when it came to the twins. 

"Is this seat taken?" I asked, mirroring what Fred had done when he found me up here the other day. 

"No, I guess not," He shrugged, not looking up at me. 

"Well, it is now," I tried to laugh as I sat down. 

There was an uncomfortable silence in between us and I wasn't sure what to say. If I knew what he was upset about, I could at least be brainstorming some ideas of comforting words. However, I was completely in the dark on what was wrong, so I stayed quiet hoping that he, like many times before, would be the one to break the silence. 

However, I should have known that the Weasleys never did what you expected them to. George stayed completely silent as we sat next to one another, the sun beginning to set behind the trees. This reminded me of when Leilani gets mad at someone and Amaryllis tells me to talk with her about it, even though we don't get along. It just ends up with me bribing her by saying that if she stopped with the attitude, I would leave her alone to pout in solitude. It normally worked, but I don't think that leaving him here is the best idea. I've never seen George upset and that means I have no idea how to diffuse this situation. 

"So, I'm guessing you're not just up here for the view," I said, hoping that maybe using humor, like Fred would, would be my best bet.

He let out a hollow laugh, "If that's your guess, then you'd be right." 

"What's going on in that big head of yours, Georgie?" I asked, looking over at him, not sure whether or not he'd want me to rest a hand on his shoulder, or something of the sort.