Year 5: Uncomfortable Encounters

We all piled into the classroom, chattering back and forth about what this year could hold for us. It may sound like a nerdy thing to say, but I was honestly just looking forward to having a normal defense against the dark arts teacher. Quirrell was a mess after his "run in with vampires" on his trip and turned out to be some push over deatheater. Then there was Lockhart, and we all know how I feel about him...

I still couldn't believe that he was actually a fraud and actually wore a wig. When I heard about how Fred threw Lockhart's wig around the room, I didn't stop laughing for at least half an hour. But there was something about this man that felt genuine, like he actually wanted to be here when we look past the tired shabby look he had going on, which I didn't mind. It gave him a real teacher vibe instead of a wizarding teacher, if that even made any sense.

When we stepped through the door, I noticed that somehow the room held a completely different feel than when Lockhart had been here. The self portraits and trophies that he had thrown around like confetti were very off-putting, but now, there didn't seem to be much to Professor Lupin's name, which was to be expected from a werewolf.

They were looked down upon and often not hired because of their illness, so many of them lived in poverty and were willing to take any work that was offered. Yes, this included the curse position as a Hogwarts Defense Against The Dark Arts professor...

On the board at the front of the room was his name: Professor Lupin, written in surprisingly neat yet scratchy handwriting, and he was standing in front of it with a smile on his tired face. His dull brown hair was brushed back out of his face and he seemed much more excited to be teaching today than he did on the train yesterday.

Heather sighed, already back to her normal preppy self even though her eyes were a little puffy and red, "This one is nowhere near as cute as the other one, but he does have a charm I guess."

"The pups might be cute, if they look a little more like you," I giggled and Heather couldn't help but laugh at my stupid joke.

"Oh my God," She laughed, and shoved me playfully, "I can't believe you said that! Pups?"

"Okay, but serious question, do you think that if two people were werewolves and she got pregnant, that they'd be more inclined to have like twins or triplets or whatever?" I whisper asked her as we found seats towards the back.

"I don't know how that would work really," She shrugged, "I mean, I think that transformations one a month might have a bad effect on the baby or babies, ya know?"

"I guess that makes sense," I nodded, "But I still think that if they did carry the baby to term that they'd definitely have more than one."

"I can see where you're coming from, like the whole thought process," Heather nodded, twirling some hair around her finger, "But I don't think that's how it works."

"We'll just have to agree to disagree," I shrugged.

"That we will, doll," Heather said as we sat down, "That we will."

We got comfortable in the back, pulling out or newest textbooks, thankful to not have to look at Lockhart's beaming face for any longer. I didn't understand why he needed to put himself on the front of the book when his name was always emblazoned with gold across the cover and the spine. We all know that he's the one that wrote it, especially if you crack open the cover and try to read the complete bullshit that he puked up all over the pages.

There was no page number on the blackboard, so we just left them sitting on the table while we waited for him to start class. Instead of him giving us a lecture to start our day off, two girls stepped over beside the table Heather and I had sat at. It was Jodi Barker and her friend that was always with her whose name I didn't know and they were both smiling at us.