Year 5: Care For A Smoke?

I stared into the dead empty eyes of the pumpkin that Hagrid had me carving. That was what our care of magical creatures class had been today, just sitting around and carving pumpkins for the Halloween feast that was coming up instead of learning about an interesting magical creature. I didn't mind though, here I could absentmindedly chop away at this pumpkin and say I made it ugly on purpose, instead of trying to force myself to listen to him drone on and on about some animal I'd never heard of. I didn't feel like putting in the effort of listening today.

It had been an entire day, but I was still exhausted from the fight with George. I hadn't talked to anyone but Cedric about it either, but I knew that Heather was dying to ask me why I was being so quiet. Even right now, she was clutching her pumpkin, her knife long forgotten, as she stared over at me. I was avoiding eye contact because Heather knew just how to bat those blue eyes and get me to spill my guts, much like the pumpkin that Colleen was tearing into right about now.

Cedric had thought that I was upset over Derrick, and he tried to turn me away at first...

Snow clung to my hair in clumps as I left Derrick at the door. He said that he didn't want to leave me, but I told him that it was better this way. I didn't want to get into another argument, and I knew that Cedric was going to blow the whole thing out of proportion and blame it all on Derrick, who honestly played a very passive role in the whole thing. Sure, he'd gone over to George first, but I'd stepped in and stood up for myself, which wasn't something that I thought I'd have to do against George, against one of my best friends.

Cedric was for some reason, already sitting on the couch by the time the door shut. I could have sworn that he was going to Hogsmeade with Cho, but at the same time, he wasn't there when George and I got into the argument unlike the last time that something went down at Hogsmeade, it should have been a sign or something. Either way, he crossed his arms over his chest and he didn't look very happy with me.

"I told you that you aren't going to come back and cry to me when Derrick messed up," He said, shaking his head.

"That's the thing," I sighed, trying my best not to cry, "It wasn't Derrick."

Before I knew it, he was on his feet and standing in front of me, "Who was it?"

"George."

Cedric's face softened, but I could tell that he was upset, "What did that ginger arsehole do?"

"He just got the wrong idea and caused a scene," I sighed, "Can I just sit with you for a while?"

"Of course, Sunny," He said, "Let's go talk shit about the Chudley Cannons."

However, he'd made very sure that I didn't interact with George for the rest of the day, and the next day as well. I was on my own during classes, but I hadn't had too many issues with him as of yet. He glared at me when I walked into Defense Against the Dark Arts, but he certainly wasn't the only one that was giving me weird looks. Literally everyone was staring a whispering when I got there.

But, everyone was too busy happily chatting away about what was going to be the entertainment for the feast, but all I could think of was the fact that it was going to be a few days before the feast and I needed to transform before then or I was going to miss out on Heather's transformation for this month too. I couldn't let her just go through it alone again. I've already left her to do two on her own when it was all my fault to begin with.

"Hey, Pandora!" I heard Adrian call, and as soon as Pandora looked in his direction, he threw a handful of pumpkin pulp right at her.

"Adrian, you arsehole! It's in my hair!" Pandora squealed, trying to pull the orange stringy stuff from her hair, but not doing much.