Year 4: Where I Belong

I'd gone to bed feeling much better than when I'd come downstairs to begin with, my mind swimming with tales of unrequited love (at first) and stolen kisses and secret dates. Anastasia had risked her life and reputation to follow her heart straight into Hiram's arms, but she'd never hesitated. She had fallen first for him and made it her mission to make sure that he fell in love with her. 

She wore nicer clothes to try and catch his eye and wore deep colored jewels that she thought would bring out her eyes. She bought fancy perfumes, hoping each time that the scent she chose was his favorite. She'd worn her hair different ways and checked out the books he was reading from the library so that maybe he'd see her with them and come to talk to her about them. However, she didn't know that while he saw all of this and thought it was rather precious that she'd go so far out of her way to get his attention, she didn't need to do so. 

Hiram, who didn't think he deserved to be in the same room as her, much less have her eyes cast upon his as a possible suitor, his words not mine, had begun to fancy her not too long after she became sweet on him. Only, it wasn't the nice clothes, expensive makeup, or even the way she desperately tried to be interested in his books on herbology. 

No, the moment that Hiram had fallen in love with Anastasia was when they were in potions class. Her normally neat and tidy hair had slipped from it's updo in some places, framing her face, and she had a bit of soot smeared across her cheek from the student next to her when they'd put in the wrong ingredient and blown up their potion. Her nimble fingers seemed to scan the page instead of her eyes as they stayed locked on her cauldron. 

She had been so completely entranced by her work, that she wasn't worried about what he or anyone else for that matter, might be thinking of her in that exact moment. He thought that she couldn't have been any more herself if she was alone in her own bedroom. That was the part of Anastasia that he'd fallen in love with first, the rest followed soon after. 

He hadn't ignored her because he wasn't interested. He'd simply become to nervous to even look in her direction during the day because he knew she was looking at him. Him, this tall gangly boy of sixteen, his red Durmstrang uniform not fitting in most places because of how thin he was compared to his height. The boy who never ate enough at home and had developed a particularly small appetite while he was away. The pureblood son of a mother who tried her hardest to even scrape by with buying second hand and things that had been passed down, and a father who had disappeared into the night too long ago for him to really remember. 

He had somehow won the affections of her, the Anastasia Thindrel. 

The well-off pureblood daughter to wealthy aging parents. Her other siblings had either graduated or dropped out to pursue other interests, so she was pampered and looked after at every turn. She'd never have to buy second hand and you could certainly tell. She would never worry about whether or not there would be food on the table, and she'd never even have to think about having a uniform that didn't fit. 

So, when she'd worked up the courage to talk to him first, he didn't quite know what to do or say as other students snickered or stared. He'd at first thought that it was some sort of joke and that she'd
been leading him on practically all year, only that wasn't true, and it become apparent to everyone else that it was no joke when he'd begun courting her not too long after. 

They'd gotten married as soon as her father would allow them to and had a son which they named Jameson. It was at about this time that both of her parents passed away due to a horse carriage incident and they'd been given enough money to pay for their custom-built house.

It had taken years to construct, and when it was finally finished, the three of them, Jameson now being about five years old, had moved in. Their lives had been absolute married bliss as even though her parents had loved her very much, Anastasia had grown apart from her parents quite a bit after she went off to school, and she hadn't been that emotional about their passing.