Year 5: School's Out For Summer

Juniper's POV:

It was the morning of our defense against the dark arts examinations, and I couldn't have been more nervous. These exams would pave the way for the rest of my days here at Hogwarts, and I had no confidence in myself whatsoever. I'd spent the whole night with George, going over things that I already knew off the top of my head, things I'd already gone over, and I hadn't gotten to refresh myself too much on what I really needed to focus on.

Although, it was nice spending time with George again. I hadn't realized how badly I'd missed him over the last few months. This whole year had been a mess, and he swooped right in at the end to make it all better again. Well, as best as he could. Even when we talked about werewolves, he never once brought up Heather and that night by the whomping willow. He honestly had kept her off my mind all night. I was too busy trying to make sure that he was somewhat prepared for his exam that I hadn't even thought about the promise I'd made to Heather until just now.

In front of me, there was an empty seat next to Robin, and an empty seat beside me, one of which would have already been filled if she hadn't been expelled. She would have been here, with her pretty butterfly hair clips and glossy smile, saying that she felt prepared for the exam. Part of it anyways, considering she didn't have to do any revision on werewolves, since, well... you know.

And yet, she wasn't here. She wouldn't be here again, so, even though I felt the most underprepared in my entire life, I knew that I had to do my best. I had to at least pass this exam for her. The rest should be at least somewhat easy, since I'd already brushed up on those subjects, so I wasn't too worried about them for the time being. I just needed to focus on the task at hand.

"Hey, is this seat taken?" I heard a sleepy voice ask.

Looking up from the anti-cheating quill that had been placed before me, I saw George smiling at me. Merlin, I missed that goofy sideways grin.

"No," I said, shaking my head.

George sat down, with Fred and Lee sliding into the seats behind us, "You worry too much."

"Who said I was worried?" I asked, trying to remember how confident I had been in my book smarts when we had first met. That day where he had picked me up in the library felt like so long ago now.

"You didn't have to, your leg is bouncing like crazy underneath the table, and I can see you picking at your fingernails right now," He laughed as I hid my hands underneath the desk.

"So, maybe I am a little nervous," I shrugged, "This is the biggest exam we've ever had to take, and I missed a whole half a year last year because I got petrified."

"You're going to do great," He said, bringing his hand up to my cheek, "You're Juniper Clemonte, you can do anything."

"You say that like I've done anything particularly impressive in the past," I said, avoiding eye contact as more people filed in the room.

His hand fell from my cheek and I could feel him staring at me, "Are we talking about the same girl, here? Juniper Clemonte, the girl who risked her life in her third year for a group of first years that she didn't even know all that well, and led Hufflepuff to win the house cup? Juni who went into a complete freefall over a quaffle like it was no big deal? Juniper who once looked Lucious Malfoy in the face and called him a filthy inbred? Miss Clemonte who protected her friends, even if it meant putting her own life at danger?"

My cheeks flushed with color as I shook my head, "I suppose we're talking about the same person."

"Then why is she letting some little test get under her skin?"

Because if I fail, then that means everyone who said that muggleborns weren't as good as halfbloods or purebloods was right?

Because I'll be letting down one of my best friends?