Year 5: Make Over

The deserted Ravenclaw common room was a wide, circular room, it was airy if that made any sense. Graceful arched windows punctuated the walls, which were hung with blue- and-bronze silks that I thought held a certain sophisticated air within their threads. Through the gorgeous windows, the Ravenclaws would have a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. During the day anyways, for now, it was getting too dark to see anything at all. The ceiling overhead was domed and painted with stars, which were echoed in the midnight-blue carpet underneath my feet. Just like any other common room, there were tables and chairs, but in here, there were also bookcases, and in a niche opposite the door stood a tall statue of white marble, the statue of Rowena Ravenclaw.

I'd always wondered why we didn't have a statue or portrait of Helga in our common room, but I suppose that it wasn't too important. She had a reputation that has long surpassed her years, and for the most part, gets pushed onto us. She was kind, inclusive, gentle, and willing to do whatever necessary to help someone. She thought that everyone deserved a place, no matter where they came from or what they even thought about themselves. It's one of the best reputations that one can have in the wizarding world. It was nothing like, Rowena.

Rowena Ravenclaw, she prided wit, intelligence, and creativity. She was quite possibly the perfect woman. Too perfect in fact. The pressure to be like her is what drove her daughter away with the diadem. What came next was quite possibly the greatest romantic tragedy of the wizarding world, at least that I'd heard of. Rowena was lost without her daughter, and decided to send her daughter's lover after her so that she could be returned home with the precious diadem. Things didn't go the way that things were supposed to, and the man sent to retrieve his lover, killed her. Then, he couldn't live with what he'd done, and he killed himself.

The worst part about it was that now, they both have to spend their eternity here, as ghosts at Hogwarts as the Bloody Baron and The Grey Lady.

I hurried across the room, feeling as though I was somehow being looked down upon by the tall pale statue in the corner. The Ravenclaw common room wasn't somewhere that I was super familiar with, so, I opened a few closets before I found the door that would lead me up to the dorm rooms, and I was hoping that it would lead me to the girl's dorms instead of the boys. Someone that I really didn't want to talk to right now was Roger Davies.

I came to a door that had a scratchy S smeared on it in the same red sparkling nail polish that Scarlett was known to wear, and I assumed that this was the most obvious place for me to look for all the girls that were probably waiting on me by now. My little sneak away with Derrick had lasted longer than I'd expected, and I hadn't wanted to leave, it was like there was something drawing me to him. I didn't know what it was right now, but I was hoping that it wasn't anything too sinister.

Recently, Derrick had been a pretty genuine guy when it came to me, and he's been there for me when I needed him these last few times. He wasn't the one who just said "cool" when I poured my heart out to him because after everything that had been going on these past few months, I thought that he liked me.

"Merlin, what took you so long?" Colleen asked as I stepped through the door that led to Scarlett and Jodi's dorm room. I could see three other trunks, but I thought that maybe Scarlett had kicked them out for the night so not everyone would be in on my business, which wasn't something that I could be to upset about.

"I made a quick stop on the way up," I shrugged, "But I'm here now, and that's all that matters."

"Well, you're certainly looking much better than you did earlier," Scarlett said, big pink curlers pulling her hair away from her face.

"Thanks," I nodded, finding a place to sit down.

"So, you want to tell us why you've got us all up here in this freezing tower for the night?" Robin asked, bundled up tightly in her pyjamas, dress robe, and the blue blanket off of one of the beds.