Year 3: Damn It, Davies

The week had passed by surprisingly quick considering just how many meals we had to make, and how much sleep I lost trying to keep up with my classes and quidditch practices. But none of that mattered, because today was the day that I'd been both looking forward to and dreading for the past month. 

After I hurt my arm and was out of commission, Cedric had gone crying to Madame Hooch about how the whole thing was his fault that that he felt terrible because he had really shot our team in the foot by taking me off the board right when we were about to take on our toughest competitors this year, Ravenclaw. So, she had agreed to push back the date of our game, letting someone else play against them in our place. 

Then, there were other scheduled games and then the Christmas holiday, which explain why it had taken them this long to finally get around to it. This would be out last game of the year, considering that we'd won against both Slytherin and Gryffindor already this year, and I was hoping to make it great. 

However, I was a bit rusty from not getting to practice with the team as much as I normally did, and I was nervous, which isn't something I say often in regards to Quidditch. So, sitting in the locker room with Colleen, I was a few deep breaths away from revisiting my breakfast that I had scarfed down this morning. 

"Juniper, calm down. We're going to be fine. If we can beat both Slytherin and Gryffindor, then we can handle Ravenclaw." Colleen said, walking over to pull my hair out of my face. 

Famous last words...

"I can't calm down. I didn't get to join in on the last three practices, and I'm terrified that I'm going to mess this up for us. We have a chance at winning the cup this year, and-"

"There are six other people on this team, Juniper," She said, while pulling my hair into a ponytail that felt a little too tight, but would obviously hold through a rough game, "And we all work together, every time we play. As long as we all stick together like we always do, we'll be just fine. But you've got to get out of your head, or you're really going to cause some trouble. What has Wesley always said?"

"You mean that terrible way he ends all of his equally terrible pep talks?" 

"Yes, that!"

"If we believe that we're good, then we'll be good." I said. 

Wesley was the captain and keeper for the Hufflepuff team, although we all knew that Cedric helped him with most of his plays and whatnot behind the scenes. We also knew that sometime soon, Cedric would end up being the captain and that was honestly fine with all of us. 

"That's right, so who is one of, if not the, best chaser on this team?" She asked, squatting down in front of me, so that we were eye level. 

"Me?"

"That's right!" She grinned, "And who scored every shot they took on the great and powerful and very attractive Oliver Wood?"

"I did, but unless you're going to talk to him, please stop telling me how attractive you think Wood is, please." I laughed. 

Colleen has had a huge crush on Oliver Wood since before we met each other last year when we both made the team. The good part was that she only ever talked about it in the locker room. The only bad part was that she would find any excuse to bring him up, but whenever they were in the same room, she shut down completely. She almost got knocked off her broom by a rouge bludger last year because she was ogling at him during a game. 

"It only seems like I talk about him so much because you never talk about anyone, yourself." She shook her head. 

"It just doesn't feel like proper locker room talk," I shrugged, grabbing my broom and making my way out of the room to meet up with the rest of the team.