Year 5: A Not So Old "Friend"

Juniper's POV:

I'd woken up before any of the other girls had and I was grateful. This way, they couldn't see me hate myself while I got myself together for the day.

Even though I normally didn't wear every piece of my uniform, I decided that covering up as much as possible might help me avoid those "not so good guys" that Cedric and all my roommates were trying to warn me about. I did have to say that I did look a lot flatter with my jumper on over my button down and with the robe tied up in the front, you couldn't see anything but my shoes and hands anyways.

Then, I sat on the end of my bed, carefully pouring all of my makeup out on the bed in front of me as not to be too loud. This time, I didn't just smudge black around my eyes and call it a day. I patted on my foundation and concealer and whatnot, covering my face with powder and blusher. When it came to my eyes, I tried to think about how Heather always did her makeup. It always matched her outfit and it wasn't ever really dark besides her eyeliner and mascara.

I used a gentle hand and brushed yellow eyeshadow all over my eyelids and used my finger to press on gold glitter over top of it as Tamara was just getting up. She waved good morning before grabbing her uniform and heading to the bathroom to get changed as I lined my eyes. It didn't take her very long to get dressed and she was back out and running a brush through her hair while I blinked on my mascara.

I packed away all of my makeup and got out the hair products that I'd learned about from Drusilla while we stayed in Transylvania this summer. She'd seen me struggling to brush my hair out and fix it one morning, and she'd said something along the lines of "I may not have been born in this century, but I do love some of the things that it has brought with it." Then, she'd showed me that curly hair is much more manageable when you take care of it and have some gels and stuff to get it sorted out in the mornings.

Normally, I'd be so frustrated with my hair that I'd ball it up on the top of my head and pretend that it wasn't a ghastly mess, but now I loved having curly hair. Personally, I don't think I'll ever use Sleek-Eazy again.

I raked gel through the roots of my hair and combed it back away from my face so that I could pull it into a ponytail. There was the chance that I was going to have a class outside today, and I did not want all of my hair resting on my neck in this weather. Then, I tucked the gel away, and bid Tamara goodbye so that she could finish tying up her scarf and I could hopefully get to breakfast early. I hated not having enough time to read my mail and eat, not that I was really expecting any mail just yet.

The common room was where I saw Cedric, once again sat on the couch and staring at the wall. I wasn't surprised at all, but when I saw him there, I remembered the bulletin board that also resided in the common room. I made my way over to it and scribbled down "any chocolate frog card trade offers can be submitted to Hog-Gossip to raise the chance of finding the card that you're looking for" and stuck it onto the board.

Then, I reached over into what I called the craft box, but was just a collection of different things people didn't want and left for others to practice their transfiguration on. I'd tried many a time to turn the tarnished ring in the bottom into real gold, but I don't think that's how that works. Anyways, I found a paper bag and pinned it directly underneath the note I'd left, checking over my shoulder that no one had seen me post it and made my way out into the hall.

I carefully shut the barrel behind me and made my way down the understandably empty hallway. Or at least, the hallway that I thought was empty. I wasn't four steps away from the door to my common room that I heard someone whistle from behind me. I turned around so quickly that I almost fell and saw Marcus Flint jeering at me on his way from the Slytherin dorms.