XII| Hey

|Vera Maklakova|

Hot tears ran down my cheeks as I saw the head of the Russian Orthodox Church cut Dimitri's palm with a silver dagger that has been passed down my family for generations for the oath ceremony.

They wanted me to wear a black veil since Russian Orthodox women usually wear something on their heads but I'm not religious, we are not in a church and most importantly, the wrong person is being sworn into the job.

As soon as the ceremony in the library was over, I rushed out of there which is when I bumped into my dad's lawyer; an elegant British man who went to school with my father which makes him like my uncle.

"Vera, I'm so—"

"Leave me alone," I tried walking past him but he gripped my arm to pull me into the room across from the library. "What the fuck—"

"I don't know why your father did what he did," he stated; his eyes were red and swollen. "He called me four days ago in the middle of the night and begged me to change the will, said it was a matter of life and death."

A deep frown appeared upon my face "Did he say anything else? Anything about me?"

Uncle Samuel looked in his breast pocket for something and handed me a card "He told me to give you this."

I quickly took it and there was only a date written on the card:

19/10/05

The nineteenth of October is his birthday and on 2005 we spent his birthday in London because he had just bought a house for us; my father told me that night to try to memorise the trip as throughly as possible because the 'safe' between us was in front of my own eyes—

"Thank you, uncle," I gave him a tight hug. "Get out of here," I whispered before pulling away and rushing out of the room to rush back to my parents' bedroom. My mother is praying in the chapel across the yard so the place was empty.

Once in the closet, I dashed through my dad's side until I found the mink fur coat that my uncle Samuel gave my dad on that birthday. It's soft and luxurious and heavy and I was mesmerised every moment he used it; he used to tell me it would be mine once he passed, promise he made the 19th of October of 2005.

My arms tightly embraced the coat to take in my dad's scent as tears poured down my face "It's okay, daddy, I forgive you..."

Nothing makes sense. The last time we saw each other he was perfectly fine and had just gotten the results of his monthly check up. He clearly knew he was going to die because he left this clue to me...I mean it could just be him keeping his promise and me trying to make something bigger out of it since he also promised me the business...

There's got to be something bigger to this but until I figure out what that is, I need to get out of here because I can't bare to see Dimitri win.

My feet took me back to my bedroom to finish packing, frantically might I add. Once everything was in suitcase, I rushed downstairs, wearing my dad's coat on top of mine.

Oliev was by the door, talking to my uncle Samuel but he approached me immediately with a frown on his face "Hvert ertu að fara?" He asked in Icelandic; his mom was Icelandic and he taught me the language growing up so we could have secrets.