XXIX| My angel

|Diavolo DeLuca|

Vera was brought to the suite a couple of hours ago and she has yet to wake up, but the Doctor explained we need to give her time since her body went through a lot of stress. The only thing I've been able to do is sit by the bed and watch her chest contract as she breathes. I just want her to wake up and look at me with that beautiful smile.

Emilia walked out of the bathroom "Archibald is getting on a plane as soon as possible, and your sister is ten minutes away."

I nodded, caressing the back of Vera's hand "It's scary to feel this in love."

My best friend approached me and gently gripped my shoulder "But isn't it exciting to know that person loves you back?"

I looked at her over my shoulder with a raised eyebrow "Should I be hurting someone who hurt you?"

She chuckled "I do like someone, but I highly doubt they like me back. I have no chance with this person."

"You gotta try, Emilia — you cannot wait for things to happen, because then things like this happen," my eyes moved back to Vera. "Don't waste any time."

"I'm not wasting any time, Diavolo — you're in love with Vera and I would never get in the way of true love," her confession caused my eyes to widen as she walked around the bed to stand across from me. "At least I finally told you the truth," she shrugged with a light smile "though it's possibly just a stupid infatuation because we've spend much of the last couple years together, but don't worry, I plan on suffocating the feeling."

My mouth was dry "I-I—"

"You don't have to say anything," she shook her head still smiling. "Who did you think I was talking about?"

"Elias," I cleared my throat. "You guys always seemed to have something going on."

Emilia shook her head "He's a great friend and we've fucked a couple of times, but that's all." Before I could say something, her phone rang "Sorry, I have to take this — it's Archibald," she walked out of the suite and left me speechless.

Fuck. Maybe I should stop pushing people to confess their feelings; it's not always the best thing for everyone and I feel awful...maybe I pushed too hard and she did something she never wanted to do. Gosh, I'm awful. I just never thought she would say she is in love with me; either I'm totally clueless or she's fantastic at hiding her feelings — most likely both.

However, I cannot let this faze me; Vera is the priority at the moment and she will be so for the rest of our lives.

"I really need you to wake up, angel," I leaned my chin on the back of her hand. "Who's going to tell me my jokes are stupid? Or paint my toenails when I'm feeling down? No one does it like you," my eyes filled with tears "please just wake up soon."

I remember begging Davina to keep her eyes open and stay with me when all she needed was to let go and be held as she lost her life. I do not want to be in that position again; I do not want to beg the love of my life to stay with me once again — it's unfair and selfish.

For the next ten minutes I watched over Vera's sleep whilst remembering the nights we have spent in my bedroom, locked up like two lovers hiding away from the eyes of the world.

"What would you have been if your family wasn't in the business?" Vera asked as she lay in my arms in the bubbly bathtub.

A smile curved my lips "Probably an architect or a museum curator; art and history are my two favorite subjects in the world," my fingers tickled her arms.

Vera chuckled "I know, I went through almost every book you had in the vault when I was down there."

I leaned down to peck her head "According to your file you were interested in those subjects as well, and as you know, my intention was never to hurt you in any way, shape or form."